none
This forum's character count is off RRS feed

• Question

• I think this forum's charater count is off and way off at that. The limit is 60 Kb. Earlier today I had a file rejected and it counts a file count of

18782 Bytes. Even in the bytecount is doubled for utf-16 sized displacement that only comes to 37,000 bytes.

This efffects each and every one us.

Renee

"MODERN PROGRAMMING is deficient in elementary ways BECAUSE of problems INTRODUCED by MODERN PROGRAMMING." Me

• Moved by Mike Feng Tuesday, February 28, 2012 9:39 AM feedback (From:Visual Basic General)
    • Moved by Naomi N Tuesday, February 28, 2012 5:31 PM Maximum message size limit bug - I think I also noticed it (From:Suggestions and Feedback for the Forums)
    Monday, February 27, 2012 10:09 PM

Answers

• Hi Renee,

The editor can successfully accept 60,000 chars! Text file of size 18782 bytes could have more than that.

I tried to save a txt file with exactly 60000 chars in it - it has size10,020 bytes.

Please divide you file in two parts if you need to post it here.

Thank you!

Forums Test Team

Tuesday, February 28, 2012 6:32 PM
  • Character counts also factor in the html markup of the post. I could post a single sentence with a bunch of redundant html markup and actually violate 60000 characters. That is just an extreme example though. Do you have an example .txt file of the post you ran into problems with? The html markup of that?  If you put it on skydrive or something we could take another look at it.

Community Forums Program Manager

Wednesday, February 29, 2012 5:33 AM
    Answerer

All replies

• Hi Renee, 

Nice to see you.

I have moved this thread to  Suggestions and Feedback for the Forumsforum.

Thank you for your understanding and support.

Best regards,

Mike Feng
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Tuesday, February 28, 2012 9:38 AM
  • Hi Renee,

The editor can successfully accept 60,000 chars! Text file of size 18782 bytes could have more than that.

I tried to save a txt file with exactly 60000 chars in it - it has size10,020 bytes.

Please divide you file in two parts if you need to post it here.

Thank you!

Forums Test Team

Tuesday, February 28, 2012 6:32 PM
  • I doesnot have more than that. I wrote the software that did the counting.

Renee

"MODERN PROGRAMMING is deficient in elementary ways BECAUSE of problems INTRODUCED by MODERN PROGRAMMING." Me

Tuesday, February 28, 2012 6:34 PM
  • "I tried to save a txt file with exactly 60000 chars in it - it has size10,020 bytes."

I truly do not understand that ratio.  Unless its text coloration and other characters.

This was vb source code. What this does mean is thar posterts to the board are in worse shape with that limit then I thoght.

Renee

Tuesday, February 28, 2012 7:06 PM
  • Character counts also factor in the html markup of the post. I could post a single sentence with a bunch of redundant html markup and actually violate 60000 characters. That is just an extreme example though. Do you have an example .txt file of the post you ran into problems with? The html markup of that?  If you put it on skydrive or something we could take another look at it.

Community Forums Program Manager

Wednesday, February 29, 2012 5:33 AM
    Answerer
  • The character count I used were source files and I only counted what was in them. Unfortunately, due to a system crash I no longer have the sources for Count.

MS does not tell the user that the 60,000 includes an HTML bytecount. Thats WAY different. Essentially then being able to put a file on the bors id the the luck of the draw. The message would be more accurate if MS said html bytecount after expansion.

Renee

Wednesday, February 29, 2012 12:45 PM