Move Data from WHS1 to WHS2... RRS feed

• Question

• I moved all my data to the shared folders on a box I threw together for playing with WHS.  When RTM hits the shelves I'm planning on buying the HP MediaSmart Server (http://h71036.www7.hp.com/hho/cache/447351-0-0-225-121.html?jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN) and moving my data to it (different hardware including different HDs).

I have a few ideas concerning my options for migrating my data from WHS1 to WHS2, but would like some feedback on what will or won't work.

1. Connect to WHS1 shares from WHS2 server and transfer data.  From what I've read, this doesn't seem possible...is it?

2. Connect to WHS1 and WHS2 from one PC and migrate.  Again, I doubt this is an option.

3. Break open the piggy bank, buy an enormous drive and transfer the data to it while connected to WHS1.  Then reconfigure PC to connect to new server and complete the migration.  I know this will work...but if it can be done another way I'd do that first.

Thoughts?

Wednesday, July 18, 2007 8:57 AM

Answers

Open Command Prompt, type start \\whs2\public

Type in valid username/password for whs2

Start dumping content of shares onto whs2

Permissions would be all screwed up, but that's "to be expected" and would be a problem using any of the other methods.  AFAIK the only limitation with using multiple WHS servers is that it does not allow more than one machines to "fill a role" - ie, you can't tell a client to back up to two WHS servers, but you can tell a client to back up to one and use another one as a file dump.  Any other limitations with using multiple servers is contingent on CIFS limitations - ie, don't name WHS1 and WHS2 to be the same name, have valid user accounts on both machines, etc.

-- Starfox

Wednesday, July 18, 2007 10:22 AM
  • Any of your three scenarios will work. Option 3 is the most expensive, but probably also the fastest, because it doesn't involve your home network.
    Wednesday, July 18, 2007 11:30 AM

All replies

Open Command Prompt, type start \\whs2\public

Type in valid username/password for whs2

Start dumping content of shares onto whs2

Permissions would be all screwed up, but that's "to be expected" and would be a problem using any of the other methods.  AFAIK the only limitation with using multiple WHS servers is that it does not allow more than one machines to "fill a role" - ie, you can't tell a client to back up to two WHS servers, but you can tell a client to back up to one and use another one as a file dump.  Any other limitations with using multiple servers is contingent on CIFS limitations - ie, don't name WHS1 and WHS2 to be the same name, have valid user accounts on both machines, etc.

-- Starfox

Wednesday, July 18, 2007 10:22 AM
  • Any of your three scenarios will work. Option 3 is the most expensive, but probably also the fastest, because it doesn't involve your home network.
    Wednesday, July 18, 2007 11:30 AM
  • FYI 500gig USB2 seagate freeagent with 5year warrenty on amazon uk at a good price.

can then be added to storage pool too.
    Wednesday, July 18, 2007 3:11 PM