Do I really need NET Framework to use Live OneCare?? RRS feed

• Question

• I recently removed NET Framework software from my pc because I felt this was something used by Microsoft Developers and Engineers, not the casual home XP user.

I now can not get OneCare to open up its control panel and so I can't do anything with it like check status or run backup or anything. OneCare main page does not open because Winssui and several other routines are not working properly anymore.

What to do now??  I'd just like a check-and-repair tool for OneCare if that's possible....not a complete re-install.  What's your advice???

Wednesday, February 4, 2009 5:40 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hello Paul, net framework contains components used by One Care and many third party programs and must be reinstalled for these programs to work correctly. One Care should resume working correctly after reinstalling net framework but if it does not you should uninstall One Care, run the install cleanup tool - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/399071e2-49dc-4767-932d-d261e3965943 then reinstall One Care.
    Jim
    Wednesday, February 4, 2009 2:30 PM
  • Paul,

To extend Jim's answer a little, the .NET 2.0 Framework is a programming platform, that's true. However, the portion that is installed with OneCare is simply the 'run-time' portion that is required to allow supported progrmas like OneCare to run. It includes no development tools or other overhead and it actually operates almost as an operating system within an operating system, which is why it is so large.

In fact, there is an update to the .NET 2.0 platform coming that will upgrade to .NET 3.5 Service Pack 1, which bundles .NET 2.0, 3.0 and 3.5 current versions together, with a download size of around 250MB. Since this is how updates to the .NET 2.0 Framework will occur in the future, it will become a required [critical] update at some point in the future.

OneCareBear
    Windows OneCare Forum Moderator
    Thursday, February 5, 2009 5:34 AM