"Windows Aero Not Working" "You may be a victim of counterfeiting" RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hello,

Last night I installed a demo for a game (Bioshock), and was prompted during setup to download a beta driver from Nvidia, which I did and installed (which I later uninstalled). Ever since then, any time I try to start a 3D game, I get kicked out before it starts, and I recieve a popup saying "Windows Aero not working - You may be a victim of counterfeiting". Not only that, but in the bottom right of the desktop, there's a a little notice "This copy of Windows is not genuine". I tried validating again, but it won't work. I've also tried spyware removal, etc.

I have no idea what's going on because I've owned my copy of Vista Home Premium for 5 months (I still have my product key, box, etc.), and nothing like this happened before.

Can anyone please help me?

Saturday, August 25, 2007 4:46 PM

Answers

•  JasonSchmidt wrote:

So the thing I'm wondering is when/if they fix the WGA servers, will it automatically fix our problems, or do we have to go through other steps?

Has anyone figured out a work-around in the meantime?

Jason:

My goal is to get you, and EVERYONE, an acceptible resolution. In this case, the only acceptible resolution is finding a solution such that people do NOT have to go through huge hurdles for resolution.

-phil

Saturday, August 25, 2007 6:28 PM

All replies

• How odd.   After booting up my PC this morning - I am getting the same message on my desktop. I noticed something was wrong when I tried to download updaets through the "Problems and Solutions" interface in Vista.

My scenario is SLIGHTLY different in that I do remember exiting out of Half-Life2 last night and then remember seeing something in "Steam" about the game the previous poster mentioned - BioShock - but I really do believe I did NOT click on anything to cause it to install the demo or anything like that.

I am getting the same message in the bottom right hand corner of my Ultimate Desktop - it says also  "Build 6000".  I cannot validate that my Ultimate is Genuine through the MS site.  I upgrade to Vista Ultimate through Digital Locker about 8 months ago and have the activation and all.  Goodness, I hope I don't have to re-install Vista

Any ideas anyone?

Thanks!.

Saturday, August 25, 2007 5:11 PM
  • Exact same thing happened to me except I was trying to start World in Conflict demo and they required a Vista "reliability" patch so i went to get it from Microsoft. Could not get past WGA on the website, then I lost all ability to play and games, etc.

People are saying it has something to do with Microsoft so I guess you will have to wait. BUT this is pissing me off!!!  They better fix this ***, today 8-25-07! Not Tuesday like what some other people are saying.

Saturday, August 25, 2007 5:14 PM
  • Yep -- Microsoft seem to be having problems today. I think once the WGA servers are fixed and everyone affected re-validates, the problems will vanish.

I see that BoingBoing.net and incidents.org are reporting widespread problems...
    Saturday, August 25, 2007 5:16 PM
  • Yes i too stupidly installed the Bioshock demo and guess what? yup Your Windows dinnae work and is nae genuine. Well, strap me sideways!!! yet another game being released that is not properly working and has screwed windows entirely. well i hope the developers are sued royally and go out of buisiness. If this were done in any other sector, they would have a major problem legally and would face the consequences...but as we are ONLY the public then that's OK. Think less about getting a product out to make money befor it works to make profits and GET IT RIGHT !!!

DOGSOLDIER

Saturday, August 25, 2007 5:59 PM
  • It's not 2K's problem, or fault, they're just victims of poor timing.  Microsoft is having a problem with its WGA servers at this time.

Saturday, August 25, 2007 6:03 PM
  • Is there any way to turn off this alert?

Saturday, August 25, 2007 6:06 PM
  •  

So the thing I'm wondering is when/if they fix the WGA servers, will it automatically fix our problems, or do we have to go through other steps?

Saturday, August 25, 2007 6:19 PM
  • In a war between Microsoft and software theives, the legitament users get stuck with something that acts like spyware. Can't MS roll back the clock to the original XP activation scheme? Us little people are getting trampled.

Saturday, August 25, 2007 6:24 PM
  •  JasonSchmidt wrote:

Jason:

My goal is to get you, and EVERYONE, an acceptible resolution. In this case, the only acceptible resolution is finding a solution such that people do NOT have to go through huge hurdles for resolution.

-phil

Saturday, August 25, 2007 6:28 PM
  • I am confused, I am getting victim of software counterfeitiing, windows areo not working errors...with every start up of my computer. What is the deal, the store I bought it from can't help me, the manft. can't help, can ANYONE?
    Friday, November 30, 2007 3:01 PM
  • Restart your computer two (2) times. You should then see the activation screen after these reboots and be able to activate the machine by entering your Windows Vista Product Key. Afterward, visit http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/ and click on Validate Windows, then restart your computer again.

Friday, November 30, 2007 3:22 PM