none
My post got deleted?? RRS feed

• Question

• I made a very long and quite detailed post to the "vcgeneral" forum 2 days ago.  The URL for the post (was):

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vcgeneral/thread/dc41ee0d-d1d3-4b44-8d4d-f0b2f9ce35f6/

Today, it is nowhere to be found.  It still shows up in my profile but when I try to click on it, I get a page not found error.  What happened to this post??

I spent a good hour typing it up, taking the screenshots, and formatting the post.  It was important and now I really don't want to have to re-do the entire thing!

Can you please help me out, what could have happened to this post?
    See this screenshot that proves the post really existed!!
    Wednesday, March 25, 2009 9:26 PM

Answers

• Some clarifications on a few things.

-All of the brands (Msdn, Technet, Expression, Ansers & Microsoft) are the same code and use the same db. Forums typically are single homed (only categorized in one brand) but there are some that are shared. Bugs and Suggestions for instance. There is nothing preventing (or really harmful) in someone changing the brand portion of the url for any forum or thread, it'll till work and doens't change anything other than rendered appearance. So the off topic forum is the same for all brands, it just happens that its "default' branding is Expression since that was our first launched brand.

-Move/Merge currently destroy the souce thread. April (or worst case May) release will be changed to leave a trail so you'll get redirected to the ultimate location.

-The not showing up in My Threads after the operation would certainly be a bug. I have a suspicion of what it might be, I'll discuss with the team on Monday for that one.
    Rob J, Forums Dev
    http://twitter.com/robjoh
    Sunday, March 29, 2009 11:21 PM

All replies

• Well, the mystery would start with how you managed to find a C++ General forum at a Technet forum site.  There's one at the MSDN site, social.msdn.microsoft.com/forums/en-us/vcgeneral/threads.   The only one, afaik.  I reckon that has something to do with it...
    Hans Passant.
    Thursday, March 26, 2009 12:09 AM
  • Hmm.  I don't think so actually.  
    social.technet.microsoft.com and social.msdn.microsoft.com display different headers but appear to be the exact same forum.
    take a look.........
    Sunday, March 29, 2009 7:41 PM
  • I dunno, looks like that's connected through a router located in the Bermuda Triangle.  The "branding" scheme here is not without problems.  Google found your post back, it ended up in the Expression brand , moved off topic.  Which is not entirely suprising, it certainly isn't an Expression kind of question.  There's another bug that bytes in this case, your My Threads page loses track of a question when it gets moved.  The forums have a pretty new face but the back-end problems are still there.  My Threads is particularly problematic.

Avoid the bugz, be sure to post here next time.
    Hans Passant.
    Sunday, March 29, 2009 9:46 PM
  • Some clarifications on a few things.

-All of the brands (Msdn, Technet, Expression, Ansers & Microsoft) are the same code and use the same db. Forums typically are single homed (only categorized in one brand) but there are some that are shared. Bugs and Suggestions for instance. There is nothing preventing (or really harmful) in someone changing the brand portion of the url for any forum or thread, it'll till work and doens't change anything other than rendered appearance. So the off topic forum is the same for all brands, it just happens that its "default' branding is Expression since that was our first launched brand.

-Move/Merge currently destroy the souce thread. April (or worst case May) release will be changed to leave a trail so you'll get redirected to the ultimate location.

-The not showing up in My Threads after the operation would certainly be a bug. I have a suspicion of what it might be, I'll discuss with the team on Monday for that one.
    Rob J, Forums Dev
    http://twitter.com/robjoh
    Sunday, March 29, 2009 11:21 PM
  • Thanks for finding my post!
    I think part of the problem is that posting seems to be disabled (for new posts) to the "vcgeneral" forum.  When I try to start a new thread there, it forces me to instead post to one of the other forums.  See screenshot below: (this is what I get when I click them "ask a question" button from the vcgeneral forum)
    --
    Thursday, April 2, 2009 3:56 AM
  • This doesn't get any better until you stop trying to post at the Technet forums.  I gave you the link for the forum where to post.
    Hans Passant.
    Thursday, April 2, 2009 8:33 AM
  • Ok, I have reposted.  fwiw, the forum you linked me to was the original forum I posted to, and for some reason (bug??) the post was moved to off-topic.  Also, I cannot seem to add my new post to my "my threads" area in my profile.  It is still linking to the old one.
    Friday, April 3, 2009 8:09 PM
  • Just a quick heads-up: your post is very likely to be declared off topic in the C++ forums.  It has nothing to do with the C++ language.  With some luck, somebody might tell you a better place to ask questions about the side-by-side assembly cache.
    Hans Passant.
    Friday, April 3, 2009 8:23 PM