2 x 
    Supermicro 8-Port SATA Card - (AOC-SAT2-MV8) | AOC-SAT2-MV8
    8 x
    Western digital WD Caviar® Green 1 TB | WD10EADS
    1 x Intel dual core E4620 1066 Mhz
    1 x SilverStone ST70F 700W PSU | SST-ST70F 
    1 x stacker casing

1x WD 200GB system disk

My server is down for 6 months now. I can't get to my photo's, music and other stuff that's imported to me. (I donn't want to loose my data.  
    what happened:
    I updated my WHS and it restarted itself. After that, it gave a black screen, it looks like it will not boot or post.
    At first I thought it was my power supply, after that i thought it was my motherboard (i eexchanged it for a new one).
    maybe it are my sata controllers in combination whith the motherboard and WHS? 

Strangely when i unplug my 8GB of harddisks. And start up only whith my system disk. it works randomly. If i connect 4GB of the raid disk one moment it works the other time it won't work anymore and doesn't start up anymore??????????? RANDOM. you can't see any structure?

Does anybody have solution? Help. I don't know what to do anymore.

Can i install on other WD 200GB disk WHS and exchange the System disks? Whitout losing data?

I hope that someone can help me?
    Thx for listening and answers or suggestions are more than welcome. 

cheers

Strangely if i unplug my 8 GB   

Wednesday, September 23, 2009 11:33 AM

All replies

• It sounds to me like you have a problem with your HBAs, but it's tough to tell for certain.

Probably the most certain way to recover your data is to move disks one at a time to a different computer and copy the contents of your shares from them. You'll find this process outlined here.

You've mentioned RAID; the HBAs you mention aren't RAID controllers, but I will warn you that if you've somehow configured software RAID on your server and managed to add the volumes created to the storage pool, there is little chance of recovering your data yourself if a disk has failed and the system isn't bootable. In that case, sending your disks out for professional (and very expensive) data recovery will be your best option.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, September 23, 2009 3:41 PM