Restore files and folders, "tip of the day" RRS feed

• Question

• One thing I've noticed when you want to restore a file and/or folders, is that the built-in Restore Wizard is somewhat limited.
    It lets you pick folders and not much more.

Instead of going with the Wizard, open the "Restore files and folders"-choice, and pick your volume to restore from.
    Then instead of choosing from the available folders presented, open up Windows Explorer and navigate to the mounted restore volume, usually Z:\

Then navigate the volume as you normally would and copy any files/folders needed to the target of choice.
    This is AFAIK the same manner WHS v.1 works, MS just slapped a "mediocre" Wizard on top of it...

WHS 2011 RTM up and running, v.1 gone to meet its maker...
    Friday, July 8, 2011 2:30 PM

All replies

• I also found this out today, since this is the first time I needed to restore something from WHS 2011.  The Windows Explorer interface is much more familiar to me, and you can use Terracopy as well.  Just don't cancel the Wizard until you're done or the volume will be dismounted. 

However, I'm looking for a way to control the drive letter of the mounted restore volume.  The Z:\ designation that you mentioned seems to be hard-coded because it kicks my network drive, already mapped as Z:\ off my computer while the restore volume is mounted.  WHS v1 assigned an unused drive letter.  There must be a registry setting or something to control that -- but I just started looking.

Tuesday, July 19, 2011 7:54 PM
  • Instead of going with the Wizard, open the "Restore files and folders"-choice, and pick your volume to restore from.  Then instead of choosing from the available folders presented, open up Windows Explorer and navigate to the mounted restore volume, usually Z:\

Then navigate the volume as you normally would and copy any files/folders needed to the target of choice.  

Thanks, this really helps.  However, I need to copy down some items that were on my Desktop.  Is there a way I can access the "locked" items like "Desktop", "Documents", "Favorites", etc. in the mounted restore volume (Z:\)?  

Sunday, December 11, 2011 9:08 PM
  • Instead of going with the Wizard, open the "Restore files and folders"-choice, and pick your volume to restore from.  Then instead of choosing from the available folders presented, open up Windows Explorer and navigate to the mounted restore volume, usually Z:\

Thanks, this really helps.  However, I need to copy down some items that were on my Desktop.  Is there a way I can access the "locked" items like "Desktop", "Documents", "Favorites", etc. in the mounted restore volume (Z:\)?  

Never mind.  Sorry about that.  Just realized I can navigate there from Z:\Users.  
    Sunday, December 11, 2011 9:15 PM
  • I just had a reason yesterday to revisit the agony of slow WHS 2011 restoring of files and folders, even using the mapped drive in Windows Explorer. (It looked like restoring my Outlook data file would take an hour or more.)  What surprised me was being able to restore files using TeraCopy much faster, or so it seems.  For each copy task, TeraCopy takes a little while to discover the items, or whatever it does to set up the copy, but then the copying takes place at a somewhat reasonable speed.  You need to run TeraCopy as Administrator (you can check a box in the program (or maybe it's the shortcut) properties to do that. You can get TeraCopy as a free program.
    Sunday, December 11, 2011 9:46 PM