Validation failure RRS feed

• Question

• We have moved to France and have brought over our computer to connect up to our wifi livebox, but we are unable to do so as a message comes up Windows Validation Failure, you may have counterfeit windows. we had the PC repaired before we left England and we have Windows XP, there is a label with Product key no. on the top of the hardrive, but we cannot connect to the wifi with the fake windows therefore cannot rectify the problem. Is there any way I can rectify the problem from this laptop??? I do not have the CD anymore (lost in the move I think) Any help greatly appreciated.

Monday, November 8, 2010 11:49 AM

Answers

• If it says Windows XP Home on the Certificate of Authenticity sticker, then that is the version of Windows that keys is good for. 

If you currently have Windows XP Pro installed, then the XP Home key will not work.

Most likely your computer originally came with Windows XP Home pre-installed but at some point Windows XP Pro was installed using a Blocked VLK (non-genuine) product key. 

I can't tell you why or how the XP Pro came to be installed on that computer, but if you ever brought the computer to a Repair Shop, then they probably did it. It is likely they needed to reinstall XP but instead of using the proper key, they just downloaded a pirated XP Pro from the internet, installed on the computer and called it good (either because repair guys don't have much training or because they are just plain lazy, it happens allot).

At this point, to get back to using the proper Windows XP Home key, you need to install the XP Home software.  Windows Recovery software did come with the computer, so use that to reinstall.  However, if you no longer have the Recovery Software, you may need to contact the Manufacturer for a replacement disk.

Hope that helps,

Darin MS
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Tuesday, November 9, 2010 11:07 PM
    Tuesday, November 9, 2010 11:06 PM

All replies

• "xxmazza0301xx" wrote in message news:8312929a-0e9a-4695-a10d-8ef837178808...

We have moved to France and have brought over our computer to connect up to our wifi livebox, but we are unable to do so as a message comes up Windows Validation Failure, you may have counterfeit windows. we had the PC repaired before we left England and we have Windows XP, there is a label with Product key no. on the top of the hardrive, but we cannot connect to the wifi with the fake windows therefore cannot rectify the problem. Is there any way I can rectify the problem from this laptop??? I do not have the CD anymore (lost in the move I think) Any help greatly appreciated.

To properly analyse and solve problems with Activation and Validation, we need to see a full copy of the report produced by the MGADiag tool (download and save to desktop - http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012 )
    Once saved, run the tool.
    Click on the Continue button, which will produce the report.
    To copy the report to your response, click on the Copy button in the tool (ignore any error messages at this point), and then paste (using either r-click/Paste, or Ctrl+V ) into your response.

--

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    Monday, November 8, 2010 9:03 PM
  • Hi xxmazza0301xx,

Use the product key update tool to change the product key to the one on the COA you mentioned.

http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/selfhelp/XPPkuinst.aspx

Then activate.

Monday, November 8, 2010 9:20 PM
  • Hi, thanks for that info, I will try to do that. I have managed to get the internet connected now so thats something. Will let you know how I get on.

Cheers

Monday, November 8, 2010 9:42 PM
  • Hi thanks for the reply, will try to do this but it sounds a bit complicated for me!! Iam going to try and update the product key first and see if that works, will let you know.
    Tuesday, November 9, 2010 1:43 AM
  • Hi, unable to download/save but am copying manually. Hope this will shed light on the problem. Thanks

Validation status       Blocked VLK                                                                              Administrator                     yes

Validation code         3                                                                                              Test Cab                            0x0

Product key              *****-*****-WRKJB-YRFQ-XVK98                                              LegitcheckControl               Registered,1.9.42.0

Product key hash      p3JYo4914HFumf8jBg8no8xdXJY=                                                Signed by                          Microsoft

Product ID                55274-648-8637434-23954                                                         Product Name N/A, Architecture Build N/A,N/A

Product ID type        1   -   Volume                                                                             TTS Error N/A

Windows OS version 5.1.2600.200010100.3.0pro                                                          Vailidation Diagnostic          025D1FF3-230-1

ID                           {B7AC8EAD-3B4C-4991-9FAF-2627FOCE6DO1}-(3)

Tuesday, November 9, 2010 2:19 AM
  • Put in the product key number which I had, but message came back it was the wrong number.....
    Tuesday, November 9, 2010 2:20 AM
  • Put in the product key number which I had, but message came back it was the wrong number.....

You would need a genuine Windows XP Professional "Full Version" product key in order to use the Windows Product Key Update Tool.  It sounds like you may have a product key for Windows XP Home Edition which can only be used if you perform a "clean install" of Windows XP Home Edition.

If you need to replace your missing Windows XP CD, please see: How to Replace Lost, Broken, or Missing Microsoft Software

Carey Frisch

Tuesday, November 9, 2010 2:47 AM
  • "xxmazza0301xx" wrote in message news:9c9eee6e-0d9d-42ba-8a73-9e8d6a0ccdde...

Hi, unable to download/save but am copying manually. Hope this will shed light on the problem. Thanks

Validation status       Blocked VLK                                                                             

Product ID type        1   -   Volume                                                   

There's your problem - your install is using a Blocked Volume License Key for Windows XP Professional.
    For what version and edition of Windows is your computer licensed according to the COA sticker on the case??

--

Tuesday, November 9, 2010 4:10 AM
  • Hi On the unit it says Windows XP Home Edition but on screen it says Windows XP Professional ?????
    Tuesday, November 9, 2010 3:14 PM
  • Hi Carey, on the unit it says Windows XP Home Edition but on screen it says Windows XP Professional ???
    Tuesday, November 9, 2010 3:16 PM
  • If it says Windows XP Home on the Certificate of Authenticity sticker, then that is the version of Windows that keys is good for. 

If you currently have Windows XP Pro installed, then the XP Home key will not work.

Most likely your computer originally came with Windows XP Home pre-installed but at some point Windows XP Pro was installed using a Blocked VLK (non-genuine) product key. 

I can't tell you why or how the XP Pro came to be installed on that computer, but if you ever brought the computer to a Repair Shop, then they probably did it. It is likely they needed to reinstall XP but instead of using the proper key, they just downloaded a pirated XP Pro from the internet, installed on the computer and called it good (either because repair guys don't have much training or because they are just plain lazy, it happens allot).

At this point, to get back to using the proper Windows XP Home key, you need to install the XP Home software.  Windows Recovery software did come with the computer, so use that to reinstall.  However, if you no longer have the Recovery Software, you may need to contact the Manufacturer for a replacement disk.

Hope that helps,

Darin MS
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Tuesday, November 9, 2010 11:07 PM
    Tuesday, November 9, 2010 11:06 PM
  • "xxmazza0301xx" wrote in message news:171c70b1-db5c-4ef8-81a2-908d866e15e5...
    Hi On the unit it says Windows XP Home Edition but on screen it says Windows XP Professional ?????

Someone has installed a non-genuine XP Pro onto your system - possibly in a misguided attempt to assist you.

You will need to do a reformat/reinstall with OEM media.
    If you don't have the media which may have come with your machine, you can try contacting the manufacturer to acquire a set of recovery disks for your machine.

--

Wednesday, November 10, 2010 7:30 AM
  • Hello xxmazza0301xx,

You wrote, "...we had the PC repaired before we left England..."  Aha, now we know the guilty party that put the nongenuine Windows onto your computer.

As Noel and Darin have posted, if you have a name-brand computer, there would be a recovery disc (which you think you probably lost) or a recovery partition on the computer that could be used to put Genuine Windows XP Home back onto the computer.  It's likely the recovery partition that may have been on the hard disk drive was erased by your repair shop.  So, you'll need to contact the customer service or tech support of the computer manufacturer to get a replacement recovery disc.

If you do not have a name-brand computer, you would use the link that Carey posted to order a "systembuilder" Windows installation disc from Microsoft.

If you look on the Certificate of Authenticity, the line underneath the "Windows XP Home Edition" product description will have either the computer manufacturer's name (say, Dell, HP, Acer, Sony, Toshiba, etc) or will have "OEM Product" or "OEM Software."  If it's one of the latter two, then you have  a systembuilder license and would order the replacement disc from Microsoft following the instructions in the KB article that Carey posted.

Wednesday, November 10, 2010 1:50 PM