Problems with Sync101RCA_Cached sample in Vista x64 RRS feed

• Question

•  I'm running into a problem here with the 1.0 Sync101RCA_Cached sample under Vista x64:

Retrieving the COM class factory for component with CLSID {565AEDB2-3108-4405-AF1F-9C2C25925DAC} failed due to the following error: 80040154.

I changed the projects from x86 to Any CPU and got past the first instance of the error, but when it's trying to through the RemoteProxyProvider, I get the error again. It looks like the WebDev.WebServer.exe that hosts the service is a 32-bit program. Any ideas how to get around this?  I've only installed the 64 bit SDK.  Should I also intall the 32-bit version?  Will installing the 32-bit version cause any problems with the 64 bit version?

Thanks,

-Michael O. Schoneman 

• Moved by Max Wang_1983 Thursday, April 21, 2011 9:40 PM forum consolidation (From:SyncFx - Technical Discussion [ReadOnly])
    Saturday, September 20, 2008 3:04 AM

Answers

• No...but I think I see my problem.  We conceptually think of the runtime and SDK as separate.  The setup.exe that is labeled the "Sync Framework SDK" online contains multiple installers, including those for the SDK and runtime.  So when I was speaking of installing the framework vs. SDK, I was speaking of these individual installers, but I probably should have looked at how it's labeled on the site.

All that said, if we refer to the SDK as the setup.exe, then you will have to install the 32 and 64 bit SDKs.  You can save yourself some time by installing the SDK for the platform you care about and installing the runtime .msi for the other platform.  If you need to redist, you only need to chain the .msi's related to what you're redistributing, and not the setup.exe or the sdk msi.

-Aaron

Friday, September 26, 2008 10:35 PM

All replies

• Hi Michael,

Have you also installed the 64-bit sync runtime as well (running setup.exe from the root directory will install it, otherwise, you have to run the msis in "Microsoft Sync Framework" and "Microsoft Sync Framework Services")?  The CLSID that it can't find is the CLSID for the native metadata store.  The SDK installer just places files, but it doesn't do anything else, so none of the libraries are GAC'd or COM registered.  Installing the sync runtime should help.

As far as installing the 32-bit version, the SDK includes both the 32 and 64-bit version, so that shouldn't be an issue.  I believe the runtimes will install side-by-side, though I'd have to do some work to confirm that.

-Aaron

Tuesday, September 23, 2008 6:40 PM
  • I had run the setup.exe from the root directory, but was still getting the error.

I took a chance and installed the 32-bit sdk (running setup.exe) and now everything seems like it's working.  Based on what you are saying it seems like I shouldn't have needed to do that. 

-Michael O. Schoneman

Wednesday, September 24, 2008 5:13 PM
  • The setup.exe installs both the SDK and the runtime.  Running the 32-bit setup wouldn't affect the SDK, since the SDK contains libraries for all platforms, but it would make sure the 32-bit runtime was installed on your machine.

-Aaron

Wednesday, September 24, 2008 9:17 PM
  • So should the 64-bit SDK setup.exe have installed the 32-bit runtime? 

-Michael O. Schoneman

Thursday, September 25, 2008 2:58 AM
  • No...but I think I see my problem.  We conceptually think of the runtime and SDK as separate.  The setup.exe that is labeled the "Sync Framework SDK" online contains multiple installers, including those for the SDK and runtime.  So when I was speaking of installing the framework vs. SDK, I was speaking of these individual installers, but I probably should have looked at how it's labeled on the site.

All that said, if we refer to the SDK as the setup.exe, then you will have to install the 32 and 64 bit SDKs.  You can save yourself some time by installing the SDK for the platform you care about and installing the runtime .msi for the other platform.  If you need to redist, you only need to chain the .msi's related to what you're redistributing, and not the setup.exe or the sdk msi.

-Aaron

Friday, September 26, 2008 10:35 PM