OC does not recoginze it's own backup disc RRS feed

• Question

• I need to backup new files but OC does not recognize it's own backup disc...I have burned 3 sets of disc now thinking it was the discs...It's not, it's OC.... 

This did not happen when I was useing the trial OC,  it does with the bought version...

HELP!!!!!!

gl

Friday, May 23, 2008 1:42 PM

Answers

All replies

• Could you explain further what you are encountering?

If you have burned 3 sets of discs, it would seem that you are successfully backing up, but I am sure that I am misunderstanding the situation.

Do you mean that you are able to perform a backup the first time, but then on a subsequent backup you are encountering an error?

What type of discs are you using? CDR, CDRW, DVDR, DVDRW?

-steve

Friday, May 23, 2008 2:36 PM
  •  

When I get a warning that NEW files need to be backed up I start the backup, am asked to put in

BACKUP 2008-C disc 3, which I do.... After OC starts to read the disc this comes up:

The disc in the drive is not a Windows Live OneCare backup DVD.  Replace it with the Windows Live OneCare backup DVD labelled  Glenda backup 2008-c disc 3

It IS the correct disc...

When I had the trial OC, I backed up NEW info several times...It just added whatever was "new" to the backup 3rd disc...Since I bought OC it does NOT recognize it's own backup discs and have had to make 3 whole new sets of backup discs....

If I have to continue like this I will have to make a whole new set of discs every other day... It's ridiculus..

I am useing DVD-R discs...The same ones I used with the trial...

Glenda

Friday, May 23, 2008 3:49 PM
  • Thanks for the clarification, Glenda. I wasn't clear on what exactly was happening and you are right - this should not be happening.

When you went from trial to subscription mode, did you uninstall and reinstall OneCare or did you subscribe from within the installed trial software?

When backup runs and asks for disc 3, but then repeatedly complains, are you then canceling the backup and starting a new full backup on a fresh set of CDs?

There is one thing I'd like for you to try before I advise you to contact support for help.

Let's try to reset the backup plan as follows:

Open OneCare

Click Change Settings

backup tab

Click change settings in the lower left

Make sure that the first screen for Centralized Backup has "No Centralized backup" selected

Click your PC on the left.

Uncheck the selection for "Turn on backup for this PC."

Click Next and save the revised plan.

Go back to the backup tab and click Change Settings in the lower left once again.

Select your PC and click.

Click Turn on backup

Select the change location link and select the drive you want to use for backup

Modify the schedule as desired for "When"

Select the file types as desired for "What"

Click next and save the revised plan with the new selection.

Once the plan has been saved, do a complete new backup. After that completes make a few simple file changes to some files that would be part of your backup plan. So, if you backup pictures, open one or more pictures in an editor and save the file without making changes or save a copy of the file with a new name. Then run backup again and see if you can feed disc 3 (or whatever disc it wants) for the new or changed files.

If that still fails, please contact support, but please let us know the outcome in either case as others have reported a similar problem in the past.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Friday, May 23, 2008 4:59 PM
  • When you went from trial to subscription mode, did you uninstall and reinstall OneCare or did you subscribe from within the installed trial software?

I cannot remember if I uninstalled/reinstalled or not... I would have follows what ever instru I was given...

When backup runs and asks for disc 3, but then repeatedly complains, are you then canceling the backup and starting a new full backup on a fresh set of CDs?

Yes... I have had to make 3 whole new sets of disc because OC does not recognize any of the discs it has made...

It first started doing this when I changed from trial to bought OC... The first time I went to add backup imfo on the bought OC I tried to use the same discs I had been useing on the trial... It would not except them so I made a new set with the paid for OC... When I needed to add more imfo to that set of discs it would not except them either...Sooooooooooooooooo I again made a new set and then again..... I have made 4 sets of backp discs in total... One from the trial, 3 from the paid OC...(I only have the last set made now)

I have needed to add more back for days now... I REFUSE to make a 5th set....If I had known this was going to happen I would NOT have paid for OC... I would have gotten rid of it altogether and found something else... Now I am stuck with it...

There is one thing I'd like for you to try before I advise you to contact support for help.

Let's try to reset the backup plan as follows:

Open OneCare

Click Change Settings

backup tab

Make sure that the first screen for Centralized Backup has "No Centralized backup" selected

I cannot do what you ask... When I open change setting, then backup tab, the only things I can do under this tab is configure backup or subscribe to OC online photo backup... There is no change settings in the lower left corner....

Geez

Friday, May 23, 2008 5:28 PM
  •  glendaleah wrote:

I cannot do what you ask... When I open change setting, then backup tab, the only things I can do under this tab is configure backup or subscribe to OC online photo backup... There is no change settings in the lower left corner....

Geez

My fault. I left out a step. Sorry.

Click on Configure Backup on the Backup tab.

Then you will see the Change Settings button in the lower left.

I realize that you are very frustrated by this and understand your reluctance to make another set of CDs just to test my theory. Your other option is to contact support and they may have a more palatable solution for you.

-steve

Friday, May 23, 2008 6:54 PM
  •  

Oh no, I don't mind making a set if it will try to fix the problem.... I just got back in and see about the settings now...

Glenda

Friday, May 23, 2008 7:58 PM
  • Click on Configure Backup on the Backup tab.

Then you will see the Change Settings button in the lower left.

Open OneCare

Click Change Settings

backup tab

Go back to the backup tab and click Change Settings in the lower left once again.

Select your PC and click.

Click Turn on backup

Select the change location link and select the drive you want to use for backup

Modify the schedule as desired for "When"

Select the file types as desired for "What"

Click next and save the revised plan with the new selection.

Click on Configure Backup on the Backup tab.

I had already looked under config weeks ago...Not there...

I took a pic of the page so I could show you  what it looks like but I cannot post it here....

There is my name; Where, which I can change; When, which I CANNOT change; What ,that has CHANGE THIS beside it which I can cl on; and turn on backup for this pc, which I can check or uncheck...Then next and cancel... That is it...

This is really frustrating...

Friday, May 23, 2008 8:54 PM
  •  

I am going to remove OC and reinstall it to see if I end up with the page you are talking about.... Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
    Friday, May 23, 2008 8:55 PM
  •  

The buttons are all here now... Going to back up later this evening... I wil then change a pic and try to back up again and will let you know...

Glenda

Friday, May 23, 2008 10:27 PM
  • Did the button for Configure Backup not appear until you reinstalled?

My fingers are crossed for you, Glenda! Note that I may not be online much over the weekend, but I'll try to check in.

-steve

Saturday, May 24, 2008 12:23 AM
  •  

I reinstalled, found all the buttons you referred to, did everything you asked, did a tune up scan, burnt the backup discs, changed one picture, redid tune up, started back up again, it got to 40% and then it hit me........... Same message...This is not a Live OneCare DVD blah, blah, blah... I could cry... Nuts.... Other discs are being read by my computer so it's not that...  I have everything backed up yet again, lol,  so have fun over the weekend and I will see what you say on Monday...

Glenda

Saturday, May 24, 2008 1:15 PM
  •  

Yes it did appear after I reinstalled... Note my reply before this one... I still need help..

G

Monday, May 26, 2008 7:10 PM
  • I'm sorry to read that the problem persisted. :-(

At this point, the best thing for you to do would be to contact support.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

Unofficial path - send me an email at sboots@mvps.org with a subject line including "OneCare" (to get past my spam filtering) and in the message body, tell me what country you are in, your forum nickname, and paste this link http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=3402045&SiteID=2 in the message body. I am not online 24x7, so you may be waiting for a reply, but I'll do my best to hook you up with support.

-steve

Monday, May 26, 2008 7:25 PM