.fslockfile in photo folder is causing error on Windows Home Server RRS feed

• Question

• I am using windows live sync to sync the photo folder to my wifes laptop and this seems to create an .fslockfile which is cauing the folder sync in WHS to report an error.  This was running fine for a couple of weeks and now seems to be having a problem

Any help would be appreciated
    Sunday, March 8, 2009 5:12 PM

Answers

• No, you can't stop the reports; they indicate an actual problem, and can't distinguish between a benign cause (Live Sync) and one that's not (an actual problem with a file).

You will need to make sure that there is a period of time every day (at least one hour per day) during which Live Sync isn't running against that folder structure.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, March 9, 2009 5:36 PM

All replies

• Hi,
    if you disable folder duplication for this folder, does the error still appear?
    Is the laptop running all the time or is it also off? Files kept open permanently cannot be duplicated properly and therefore may lead to an error message.
    Can the file deleted via the shared folder?
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Sunday, March 8, 2009 7:31 PM
  • Hi

Thanks for the reply

The laptop isn't on most days for a few hours but not all the time

If i disable live sync the file disapears but then comesback.

the file can't be deleted
    thanks

Jamie
    Monday, March 9, 2009 3:11 PM
  • Hi Jamie,
    if the file disappears after live sync is disabled and is only there with the tool enabled, this would explain the error, if the folder is duplicated, as mentioned in my first posting. Permanently opened files cannot be duplicated.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Monday, March 9, 2009 4:02 PM
  • so can i stop WHS reporting it to me every hour?
    Monday, March 9, 2009 4:48 PM
  • No, you can't stop the reports; they indicate an actual problem, and can't distinguish between a benign cause (Live Sync) and one that's not (an actual problem with a file).

You will need to make sure that there is a period of time every day (at least one hour per day) during which Live Sync isn't running against that folder structure.

Monday, March 9, 2009 5:36 PM
  • OK

is there a way i could script live sync to stop and restart? rather than doing it manually?

thanks

Jamie
    Wednesday, March 25, 2009 8:48 PM
  • I'm not aware of anything. Have you checked the Live Sync web site?
    Wednesday, March 25, 2009 9:01 PM
  • Hi Jamie,

I'm also experiencing the same issue, I've installed Windows Live Sync on my HP MediaSmart Server EX485, every 24 hours I receive the "Network Health at risk" warning due to the ".fslockfile" being open. After much research, I found that this is by design. Quoted from the FAQ: How do I resolve file conflicts:

"Files that remain open for more than 24 hours are reported with a “File is open” conflict warning. Files must be closed so the Drive Extender (DE) migrator process can duplicate them. If a file is never closed, the Drive Extender migrator process will not be able to make a second copy of the file on a second hard drive."

This is not completely accurate since I do not folder duplication enabled. However, after much more research again, I found the DEmigrator does double duty by also balancing the hard drive.

Here is my question to the WHS team: Is there a way to ignore the .fslockfile? Since these are both Microsoft products they should not conflict with each other like this.

As a workaround I've written a vbs script to restart the LiveSync application and scheduled to restart daily, I will test it out over the weekend and post it here if it works.
    Friday, March 27, 2009 2:12 AM
  • Unfortunately, the script I wrote to restart the Live Sync application did not fix the issue, I am still receiving those darn warnings. I 'm guessing that the Demigrator processor checks the file every hour and if it sees that the file is still open after 24 hours it reports the problem. It doesn't recognize that the file has been closed and then re-opened. So the only possible solution here is to schedule a task to restart the computer every day. If you need help with this let me know, I'll be glad to offer assistance.

Does anyone here know how I can report this bug to Microsoft? maybe there is a patch out there already.
    Friday, March 27, 2009 9:24 PM
  • Alan78g said:

Unfortunately, the script I wrote to restart the Live Sync application did not fix the issue, I am still receiving those darn warnings. I 'm guessing that the Demigrator processor checks the file every hour and if it sees that the file is still open after 24 hours it reports the problem.

That's correct.

Alan78g said:

It doesn't recognize that the file has been closed and then re-opened.  So the only possible solution here is to schedule a task to restart the computer every day.

Or schedule the Live Sync to close at a given time and start again a little over an hour later (70 minutes between should be enough).

Alan78g said:

If you need help with this let me know, I'll be glad to offer assistance.

Does anyone here know how I can report this bug to Microsoft? maybe there is a patch out there already.

It's not a bug.  It's by design.

Friday, March 27, 2009 11:52 PM
  • Alan, per my first reply, you will need to make sure that Live Sync is shut down for a minimum of one full hour per day or you will continue to receive those warnings every day.
    Saturday, March 28, 2009 6:40 PM