WHS is not up to date, but don't see any updates RRS feed

• Question

• In the console, I see the following:
    Windows Home Server Console: 6.0.1800.0
    Windows Home Server Backup & Restore: 6.0.1800.0
    Windows Home Server Drive Extender: 6.0.1800.0
    Windows Home Server Remote Access: 6.0.1800.0
    Windows Home Server Storage Manager: 6.0.1800.0

I see in other posts that some of my version numbers are out of date. I have auto update enabled. When I try "Update Now" it returns with "no updates available".

What is happening?

Also, I am seeing an error message about windows cardspace crashing. This just started on my Vista 64-bit machine today. It may or may not be relevant.

Thank you,

Randall Davis
    Saturday, March 14, 2009 3:49 PM

Answers

• I reinstalled the os. Twice. After the second reinstall, the updates were finally offered.

I really don't know what caused the original install to fail to show them. I had been having no problems with it for a long time.

Randall Davis
    Tuesday, March 17, 2009 11:47 AM

All replies

• randavis said:

In the console, I see the following:
    Windows Home Server Console: 6.0.1800.0
    Windows Home Server Backup & Restore: 6.0.1800.0
    Windows Home Server Drive Extender: 6.0.1800.0
    Windows Home Server Remote Access: 6.0.1800.0
    Windows Home Server Storage Manager: 6.0.1800.0

I see in other posts that some of my version numbers are out of date. I have auto update enabled. When I try "Update Now" it returns with "no updates available".

What is happening?

Also, I am seeing an error message about windows cardspace crashing. This just started on my Vista 64-bit machine today. It may or may not be relevant.

Thank you,

Randall Davis

Can you logon to the server desktop, open the Console from there, and see if it has the same component numbers?  Also (again from the server desktop), try going to Add/Remove Programs and see if you have these updates installed (make sure Show updates is checked):

Update for Windows Home Server (KB950193)
    Update for Windows Home Server (KB957825)
    Update for Windows Home Server (KB958926)
    Update for Windows Home Server (KB961030)

Those are the WHS updates since PP1.  (You should also have some Server 2003 updates as well.)
    Saturday, March 14, 2009 4:08 PM
  • I have KB950193 and KB957825 but not the other two. I also looked in the Windows folder in Windows Explorer.
    Saturday, March 14, 2009 4:51 PM
  • randavis said:

I have KB950193 and KB957825 but not the other two. I also looked in the Windows folder in Windows Explorer.

Did you open the Console from the server desktop (using the shortcut on the desktop) and look at the component numbers there?
    Saturday, March 14, 2009 4:59 PM
  • yes.
    Saturday, March 14, 2009 5:07 PM
  • I also opened Windows Update in IE7 on the server and browsed the update history. Only the two earlier referenced updates are installed.
    Saturday, March 14, 2009 5:09 PM
  • randavis said:

yes.

What were the numbers?  Did you try looking for updates from the Console on the server desktop?
    Saturday, March 14, 2009 5:19 PM
  • randavis said:

I also opened Windows Update in IE7 on the server and browsed the update history. Only the two earlier referenced updates are installed.

Although unsupported, did you try seeing what updates were still needed through the Windows Update website?
    Saturday, March 14, 2009 5:20 PM
  • The two installed are KB950193 and KB957825.

The two NOT installed are KB958926 and KB961030.

I have tried to update from the console from a remote client.

I have tried to update from the console while rdc-ed into whs.

I have tried to update from Internet Explorer 7 while rdc-ed into whs.

All attempts have failed to install KB958926 and KB961030.

Can I find these updates and download and install manually?

When I search the MS Knowledge Base, I can find the descriptions, but no download links.
    Saturday, March 14, 2009 5:27 PM
  •  
    randavis said:

I also opened Windows Update in IE7 on the server and browsed the update history. Only the two earlier referenced updates are installed.

randavis said:

The two installed are KB950193 and KB957825.

When I search the MS Knowledge Base, I can find the descriptions, but no download links.

That is what I was trying to say I was doing.
    Saturday, March 14, 2009 5:39 PM
  • randavis said:

The two installed are KB950193 and KB957825.

What happens when you try to install from the website?  Are you selecting Custom?  Do those 2 updates show as being needed and not install?  Or do they just not show up?

randavis said:

Not to my knowledge.

randavis said:

Is this a home-built server, or one purchased from a store (i.e. HP MSS)?
    Saturday, March 14, 2009 5:48 PM
  • " What happens when you try to install from the website?  Are you selecting Custom?  Do those 2 updates show as being needed and not install?  Or do they just not show up?"

They do not show up.

"Is this a home-built server, or one purchased from a store (i.e. HP MSS)?"

It is a home built server.
    Saturday, March 14, 2009 6:13 PM
  • randavis said:

" What happens when you try to install from the website?  Are you selecting Custom?  Do those 2 updates show as being needed and not install?  Or do they just not show up?"

They do not show up.

"Is this a home-built server, or one purchased from a store (i.e. HP MSS)?"

It is a home built server.

I'm assuming that when you opened the WHS Console from the server desktop (not a client), all of the component numbers were 6.0.1800.0 (you never answered that specific question).  If they are (and you are unable to get the latest updates through the Update Now button by using the Console on the server desktop), then your installation is broken somehow.  What add-ins do you have installed?  Have you ever installed any apps from the server desktop?  (FYI, you will probably have to do a Server Reinstallation in order to fix it.)
    Saturday, March 14, 2009 6:32 PM
  • It doesn't matter where I open the console (from a client, from a rdc connection, or on the WHS box itself), I get the same version numbers.

I have an APC power management app installed for my UPS.

I have the disk management add-in installed.

Do I remember correctly that you cannot do a repair install with the original OEM install disk after you install pp1? If so, how do I get there from here?
    Saturday, March 14, 2009 6:42 PM
  • Hi,
    if you visit the Windows Update website after logging in to the Windows Home Server desktop directly, click Microsoft Update here, do you get any updates offered?
    You might also check the event log, if there are any error messages about failed update installs.
    Was Power Pack 1 installed from the beginning or did you install it later? (KB944289)
    If it was not already integreted with your initial DVD, you could try to uninstall the Power Pack, reboot and check, if you get it offered again through the update function now.
    (I recommend to leave the clients off during that time or end at least the Connector software and service, so that the connector software doesn't downgrade itself.)
    If this also does not help, I would tend to recommend the Server reinstallation.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Saturday, March 14, 2009 6:56 PM
  • randavis said:

It doesn't matter where I open the console (from a client, from a rdc connection, or on the WHS box itself), I get the same version numbers.

I have an APC power management app installed for my UPS.

I have the disk management add-in installed.

Do I remember correctly that you cannot do a repair install with the original OEM install disk after you install pp1?

No, that's not true.  You can do a Reinstallation (although I would not access any network shares from anywhere after Reinstallation due to the data corruption bug that will momentarily exist on your server before you install Power Pack 1).

randavis said:

If so, how do I get there from here?

Saturday, March 14, 2009 7:09 PM
  • Olaf Engelke said:

Hi,
    if you visit the Windows Update website after logging in to the Windows Home Server desktop directly, click Microsoft Update here, do you get any updates offered?
    You might also check the event log, if there are any error messages about failed update installs.
    Was Power Pack 1 installed from the beginning or did you install it later? (KB944289)
    If it was not already integreted with your initial DVD, you could try to uninstall the Power Pack, reboot and check, if you get it offered again through the update function now.
    (I recommend to leave the clients off during that time or end at least the Connector software and service, so that the connector software doesn't downgrade itself.)
    If this also does not help, I would tend to recommend the Server reinstallation.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

By clicking Windows Update while accessing the WHS directly (with a keyboard, mouse, and display attached) I do not get any updates offered. I looked in the event logs for the last couple of months and found no errors about updates.

I started using WHS  in the initial beta. I did a server reinstall when I converted to the OEM release. I have since done one other server reinstall to resolve some issues with backups. I used the beta of PP1 which I had to uninstall and then install the final PP1 version.

I have not tried many add-ins. I had Whist installed during the beta, and didn't reinstall after I went to the oem. Recently, (maybe 3 weeks ago) I installed the Disk Management add-in. At that time I uninstalled a 120 gb hard disk and added a new wd 1tb drive with no problem. Although only 8gb has been used on the new drive since install. I am only backing up two machines, daily. I do have some old backups of older machines that are not running at this time that I have retained in the database.

I am now in the process of looking at all of the windows update records in the event logs. I am seeing 121 events.

If I don't find anything there, I think I will try to uninstall PP1 and see what happens there.

I guess the next thing after that will be a complete server reinstall. I hope I don't hose the backup database. I have some files on those old machine backups that I am not sure if they are backed up elsewhere.

Again, Thanks for all your help.

Randall Davis
    Saturday, March 14, 2009 7:58 PM
  • randavis said:

By clicking Windows Update while accessing the WHS directly (with a keyboard, mouse, and display attached) I do not get any updates offered. I looked in the event logs for the last couple of months and found no errors about updates.

I started using WHS  in the initial beta. I did a server reinstall when I converted to the OEM release. I have since done one other server reinstall to resolve some issues with backups. I used the beta of PP1 which I had to uninstall and then install the final PP1 version.

I have not tried many add-ins. I had Whist installed during the beta, and didn't reinstall after I went to the oem. Recently, (maybe 3 weeks ago) I installed the Disk Management add-in. At that time I uninstalled a 120 gb hard disk and added a new wd 1tb drive with no problem. Although only 8gb has been used on the new drive since install. I am only backing up two machines, daily. I do have some old backups of older machines that are not running at this time that I have retained in the database.

I am now in the process of looking at all of the windows update records in the event logs. I am seeing 121 events.

If I don't find anything there, I think I will try to uninstall PP1 and see what happens there.

I guess the next thing after that will be a complete server reinstall. I hope I don't hose the backup database. I have some files on those old machine backups that I am not sure if they are backed up elsewhere.

Again, Thanks for all your help.

Randall Davis

FYI, you should not use WHS to archive backups.  One bad sector/block containing any part of the backup database on any hard drive can result in the loss of the entire backup database.  You should pull whatever data you wanted to keep from the old backups and store those files/folders either A) on a current PC or B) on the server shares with Folder Duplication enabled.
    Saturday, March 14, 2009 8:07 PM
  • I finally got my server back. I spent most of this weekend installing and re-installing the system files. I just got it finished with all updates (I hope!).

In the process, I fried a dvd burner.

Not a real good weekend.

I still seem to have an issue with the drivers for the onboard promise sata controller on an Asus A8V-Deluxe. I can't figure out why it won't install. I have a floppy drive and whs says it is installing it, but at the end, it says that a better or newer driver was not found, so it keeps the old driver. This is all being done in Device Manager. I have uninstalled it there and it just reinstalls the same driver. When WHS is restarted, I get an error saying that a driver or service is not loaded.

Even with that problem, I still have another VIA sata controller onboard which is working. I now have all of my drives on that controller, and they are working.

Thanks for all of your help.

Randall Davis
    Tuesday, March 17, 2009 2:09 AM
  • randavis said:

I finally got my server back. I spent most of this weekend installing and re-installing the system files. I just got it finished with all updates (I hope!).

In the process, I fried a dvd burner.

Not a real good weekend.

I still seem to have an issue with the drivers for the onboard promise sata controller on an Asus A8V-Deluxe. I can't figure out why it won't install. I have a floppy drive and whs says it is installing it, but at the end, it says that a better or newer driver was not found, so it keeps the old driver. This is all being done in Device Manager. I have uninstalled it there and it just reinstalls the same driver. When WHS is restarted, I get an error saying that a driver or service is not loaded.

Even with that problem, I still have another VIA sata controller onboard which is working. I now have all of my drives on that controller, and they are working.

Thanks for all of your help.

Randall Davis

What specifically did you do that got the updates to show up?
    Tuesday, March 17, 2009 4:10 AM
  • I reinstalled the os. Twice. After the second reinstall, the updates were finally offered.

I really don't know what caused the original install to fail to show them. I had been having no problems with it for a long time.

Randall Davis
    Tuesday, March 17, 2009 11:47 AM