Media Center clarification RRS feed

• Question

• As someone who doesn't really use either the Media Player or Media Centers on my client machines, I don't really understand the jargon used when talking about the media capabilities of Windows Home Server 2011.   What I'd like to know is whether I'll be able to get to files on the server directly from my Blu-ray player.    The clients show up when I browse the network from the Blu-ray player but not the server.

Currently, the only thing I use Media Center on my PCs for now is to create libraries that include files on my server so that I can see the files from the Blu-ray player.  That's a pain because I have to keep adding folders on the clients and I have to power up/wake up a machine when I want to view pictures or home movies on the TV.  

Would moving to WHS 2011 solve this?  Would the server be directly discoverable by my Blu-ray player?

Thursday, June 23, 2011 6:58 PM

Answers

• OK, as long as your BluRay player is DNLA compatible, then it will see the WHS2011 server and you will be able to play files from there. This was not the case with WHS1 (which was not DNLA compliant) and you needed a 3rd party add in such as Twonky, not supported as it does not integrate with the Console, but I used it for years without a problem.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    • Marked as answer by Athena.. _ Thursday, June 23, 2011 8:25 PM
    Thursday, June 23, 2011 7:05 PM
  • Or run Twonky (or equivalent) - worked fine for me.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    • Marked as answer by Athena.. _ Friday, June 24, 2011 6:46 PM
    Thursday, June 23, 2011 8:39 PM

All replies

• OK, as long as your BluRay player is DNLA compatible, then it will see the WHS2011 server and you will be able to play files from there. This was not the case with WHS1 (which was not DNLA compliant) and you needed a 3rd party add in such as Twonky, not supported as it does not integrate with the Console, but I used it for years without a problem.

• Marked as answer by Athena.. _ Thursday, June 23, 2011 8:25 PM
    Thursday, June 23, 2011 7:05 PM
  • Thanks Phil.   I guess that's an argument in favor of rebuilding the server with the latest version.
    Thursday, June 23, 2011 8:26 PM

• Marked as answer by Athena.. _ Friday, June 24, 2011 6:46 PM
    Thursday, June 23, 2011 8:39 PM

I downloaded the trial and it seems to be working well here too.    It's certainly simple (and cheap) fix for my issue and I can take a bit more time to figure out if/how to migrate to WHS 2011.

Thanks a lot.

Athena

Friday, June 24, 2011 6:45 PM