none
Synctoy 2.x Slow via network RRS feed

• Question

• I like Synctoy, but it's extremly slow when it comes to syncing over any network. Disk to disk is speedy and fine.

While using a network share or any network connection (bandwidth is not an issue) synctoy starts out fast, but suddently slows down. You would belive it's crashed, but no it is still sending lost of data over the network. If you are passient enough it willl finish.

Please get is corrected asap.

PS: I've reproduced this on several computers. OS is not the issue. I have seen this on XP, Vista, W7 and W2K8 64bit.

Lars
    Friday, December 25, 2009 6:14 PM

All replies

• Hi Lars,

Thank you for trying SyncToy and reporting you issue.

We have noticed performance issue of the first sync session of folder pairs contain a large number of files. But I have not seen unacceptable difference between syncing local folders and syncing through network before. Would you like to share us more details about you scenario, please?

We would like to know how many files are there in one of your syncing folders. And is there some big files (larger than 2G) contained in your sync folder? Did you apply the “Check file contents”? Is there many files with the same name but contained in different folders? And can you show us the time cost when syncing with remote folder and local folder?

The detail information would help us to investigate the performance issue you met.

Thanks

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Tuesday, January 5, 2010 9:06 AM
  • Hi

the number of files to sync might have be an issue, but I've not seen a pattern yet.
    First, I've have not used "Check file contents". Second, the behavior have occoured to several completely different networks, directory structures and sizes (file&folder amount).

I have ven tried to make subsets of folder pairs, with some limited success. With small subsets, Synctoy start to work ok. One pair I have contains 45GB of data in 28000 files and 16000 folders. That pair take many hours to complete. Largest file is 160MB and only dozen are larger than 100MB. 13000 files are normal jpg's. Only a few files might share the same file name.
    Synctoy slows down while checking the network baes pair and/or while adding actions. Network traffic continues at a speed of max 1mbit on a 100mbit connection. CPU usage is not an issue.

The file count could some how be the key, but only in combination with a network link. Local (disk to disk) is never a problem.

Thursday, January 7, 2010 7:53 PM
  • Hi,

get a slow NAS in you test environment, then you might be able to recreate the problems I mentioned above.

Lars
    Thursday, January 7, 2010 7:55 PM
  • Hi -

How many files are changing on each sync ? The first sync with the 45 GB of data might be slow but you are seeing this slow down on each subsequent sync irrepective of the number of changes?

Thanks
    Deepa
    Deepa ( Microsoft Sync Framework)
    Thursday, January 7, 2010 10:21 PM
  • Hi,

the first copy would of cause be slow. Only a few (<100) files changes.
    Right now I have given up on Synctoy 2.1. What worked with Synctoy 2.0 is now not working. After running for 3 hours to sync 14000 files or 14GB (a seperate folder pair as a subset of my documents), I have decided to forget about Synctoy 2.1. I know for sure that only 50 files have changed. Synctoy gets stuck in searching for changes on the network path.

How can I roll back to 2.0?

Since I'm mostly just making an echo of my data, ist simply faster just to make a new copy!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Your version 2.1 is utterly the worst "improvement" possible.

When you have found the wrongs, please find time to make some changes too: It would be handy if you can change a folder pair (path of either the left or the right folder). Copying a pair would then make sense too.

Lars
    Friday, January 8, 2010 8:50 PM