Loading Live OneCare on new laptop. RRS feed

• Question

• I have a Live OneCare disk that we bought with a desktop about 18 months ago.  It runs on Windows XP. I know it is valid for up to 3 computers. We just bought a new laptop that runs on Vista. As long as we renewed our subscription to Live OneCare, can't we install the same disk on the new laptop, or do we need to buy a newer version to run on Vista?
    Sunday, August 17, 2008 9:47 PM

Answers

All replies

• Don't use the old CD. Go to Member Accounts - http://onecare.live.com/standard/en-us/members/default.htm sign in using the Live ID and password associated with your One Care subscription and follow the instructions to add a computer to your account.

Sunday, August 17, 2008 10:44 PM
  • I have the same problem and did all that -signed in, etc. The problem is that it tells you to go to the OneCare application and choose subscribe. Unfortunately, there is no subscribe. I have spent the last hour on this site and I tried calling the 866 help number (computer voice repeated same stuff then hung up on me). So, how the heck can I get my third computer activated (this new laptop)? VERY FRUSTRATING. There appears to be NO LIVE help anymore. Oh, BTW, I tried to use chat but it crashed, tried again. And BTW, in all this I got a serice number 1076288170 which apprently does me no good.

Monday, August 18, 2008 1:16 AM
  • SELLIOTT

Could there be any other button? Renew perhaps?

Check if the date and time settings of your computer is correct.

In the screen of onecare verify if there is some kind of a Subscription notification at the left bottom of the screen.

If a date appears, and it has the correct expiration date of your subscription the subscribe button will no longer appear, means its already active.

You can counter check it from clicking Help on the right top corner of onecare window, choose about Windows Live OneCare, it should give you the subscription ID, and it should be your Live ID in there. 

If None of this suggestion applies.

Since you already have a service ticket. Try to contact support again. They are open 24 hours. They are still our best hope for our problems.

Monday, August 18, 2008 1:43 AM
  • If, after installing OneCare on a PC where OneCare has never been installed, you open OneCare and there is no link in Actions to take for Subscribe or Activate, your PC date is likely incorrect or you already provided a LiveID to connect the installation with your subscription.

-steve

Monday, August 18, 2008 1:01 PM