How Does backup work? RRS feed

• Question

• I have just installed WHS , and have a few questions.

1. If i mark the hole C:\ to be backuped, will i be able to run restore cd and restore system to that last backup then? Just like an img ghost?

2. If i just choose to backup my documents, pictures etc. Will it make a new backup every day of that? So if my pictures are 10gb , it wil grow to 20gb the next day etc.? Or will it just back up the differenceses?

3. Can i manage how often it should delete backup? and can i choose to only backup once a week?

Friday, September 12, 2008 2:00 PM

Answers

• Hi,

No, it doesn't compress any files. However it only stores one copy of any file, so if for example, there are 3 or 4 dll's or drivers or whatever, then it will store the first one it comes to, but as it sees each of the copies, it will then just store a pointer to the first backed-up copy, hence saving space.
    The same principle applies to any and all files it comes across on any Client in the network. This would mean, for example, that if your had two Clients both with XP installed, then only one copy would be stored on the server, with pointers to that copy for the other Client's backup.

Colin
    If anyone answers your query successfully, please mark it as 'Helpful', to guide other users.
    • Marked as answer by teigas Friday, September 12, 2008 6:33 PM
    Friday, September 12, 2008 6:15 PM

All replies

1. Yes, it's much like a drive image (though storage is dramatically lower if you back up multiple PCs).
    2. It will back up changes only.
    3. Sort of. It will clean up backups once a week, using the retention rules you set. You can't configure backup frequency however.
    You might want to take a look at the Home Computer Backup technical brief, or some of the other documents on the support page.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Proposed as answer by Ken WarrenModerator Friday, September 12, 2008 2:45 PM
    • Marked as answer by teigas Friday, September 12, 2008 3:27 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by teigas Friday, September 12, 2008 6:03 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by teigas Friday, September 12, 2008 6:03 PM
    Friday, September 12, 2008 2:45 PM
  • Again i was also wondering, now i have taken a full backup of my c:\ wich is around 50gb .

Why is the backup only 30 - 40? Do it automaticly compress the files? Is this the reason?
    Friday, September 12, 2008 6:09 PM
  • Hi,

No, it doesn't compress any files. However it only stores one copy of any file, so if for example, there are 3 or 4 dll's or drivers or whatever, then it will store the first one it comes to, but as it sees each of the copies, it will then just store a pointer to the first backed-up copy, hence saving space.
    The same principle applies to any and all files it comes across on any Client in the network. This would mean, for example, that if your had two Clients both with XP installed, then only one copy would be stored on the server, with pointers to that copy for the other Client's backup.

Colin
    If anyone answers your query successfully, please mark it as 'Helpful', to guide other users.
    • Marked as answer by teigas Friday, September 12, 2008 6:33 PM
    Friday, September 12, 2008 6:15 PM
  • Okey , then i understand. Thanks for the quick answear!
    Friday, September 12, 2008 6:33 PM