none
Key won't work RRS feed

• Question

• I have re-formatted my hard drive.  I have the product key for XP.  However it says it is not a valid key.  I have the sticker that goes with it.  I have had another person read it to me.  What do I do now?  I cannot even run the thing as it has no operating system up and running.
    Wednesday, August 12, 2009 12:05 AM

Answers

• Hello duggersd,

When setup rejects a Product Key it can only be for one of two reasons:

1.  The Product key was typed incorrectly.

2.  The Product Key being used does not match the CD being used.

XP Product keys have to match the edition (Home, Pro, Media Center, Tablet, Embedded) AND have to match the sales channel (OEM, retail upgrade, retail full, volume upgrade).
    For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Wednesday, August 12, 2009 6:08 PM
    Wednesday, August 12, 2009 2:28 AM
  • Hello Gothmog56,

If you have a specific question about WGA, please formulate a cogent question free from abusive and/or potentially offensive language, and start your own thread rather than appending rants to other people's threads.

From what you posted it seems that you are having trouble matching installation CDs to Product Keys.  Windows XP product keys are matched to the edition of XP (Home, Pro, Media Center, Tablet, Embedded) AND to the sales channel (OEM, full retail, upgrade retail, volume).  Any given Genuine product key will only work if it matches BOTH the edition AND the sales channel of the installation CD being used.

Another point to know is that there are limits on how many times any given product key can be activated automatically online with a given time frame.  If you exceed this value, when activating you will encounter a "this product key has been activated too many times" error.  In such case, you should choose to do a Telephonic Activation.  Once a given product key has exceeded this threshhold, all subsequent activatons have to be done Telephonically.  For most people this is not an issue because they purchase Windows preinstalled by the computer manufacturer and will never install XP.  For those enthusiasts who like to tinker, they may have to devote an extra five minutes per installation once their XP exceeds that activation threshhold.  In many cases using a disk imaging strategy to reinstall saves a lot of time, mostly the time you would waste waiting for Setup to complete and subsequent driver installation and tweaking, but would also save those five minutes used for the Telephonic activation.

If you want to provide comments and feedback regarding WGA/OGA, please post to the specific subforum for Comments and Feedback here:  http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/genuinefeedback/threads
    For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Thursday, August 13, 2009 5:29 PM
    Thursday, August 13, 2009 3:03 PM

All replies

• Hello duggersd,

When setup rejects a Product Key it can only be for one of two reasons:

1.  The Product key was typed incorrectly.

2.  The Product Key being used does not match the CD being used.

XP Product keys have to match the edition (Home, Pro, Media Center, Tablet, Embedded) AND have to match the sales channel (OEM, retail upgrade, retail full, volume upgrade).
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Wednesday, August 12, 2009 6:08 PM
    Wednesday, August 12, 2009 2:28 AM
  • 1 you can type to product key inb correctly  and it still says it is invalid,ive done this not once, but 4 times.every time i have to reinstall this piece of ____ you call xp in fact,which has been gee 4 times. i ve done it forma dvd i purchsed and its coded no longer works. ive used the code from  each of the lap tops and tghey no longer work.i used the code form a lap top i had and its cd and they no longer work.iv called and gotten code form customer service and each time ityr to use that code it no longer works after intial install with it.
    the product code is a pain in hte ____,but it makes ms think they have protected their precious software, ot ____ with your cusotmers. make them go through hoops and hurdles,thats okay.after all gthey only pay fo rhte ____.

for all users if oyu have an invalid code thier is one and only 1 thing to do call ms and get a code form them. which is what the forum heading called replacement tells oyu to do after you go to another page.they cant even put the frigging number in the post have to go to yet a 3rd page to get numbers.
    Wednesday, August 12, 2009 10:47 PM
  • Hello Gothmog56,

If you have a specific question about WGA, please formulate a cogent question free from abusive and/or potentially offensive language, and start your own thread rather than appending rants to other people's threads.

From what you posted it seems that you are having trouble matching installation CDs to Product Keys.  Windows XP product keys are matched to the edition of XP (Home, Pro, Media Center, Tablet, Embedded) AND to the sales channel (OEM, full retail, upgrade retail, volume).  Any given Genuine product key will only work if it matches BOTH the edition AND the sales channel of the installation CD being used.

Another point to know is that there are limits on how many times any given product key can be activated automatically online with a given time frame.  If you exceed this value, when activating you will encounter a "this product key has been activated too many times" error.  In such case, you should choose to do a Telephonic Activation.  Once a given product key has exceeded this threshhold, all subsequent activatons have to be done Telephonically.  For most people this is not an issue because they purchase Windows preinstalled by the computer manufacturer and will never install XP.  For those enthusiasts who like to tinker, they may have to devote an extra five minutes per installation once their XP exceeds that activation threshhold.  In many cases using a disk imaging strategy to reinstall saves a lot of time, mostly the time you would waste waiting for Setup to complete and subsequent driver installation and tweaking, but would also save those five minutes used for the Telephonic activation.

If you want to provide comments and feedback regarding WGA/OGA, please post to the specific subforum for Comments and Feedback here:  http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/genuinefeedback/threads
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Thursday, August 13, 2009 5:29 PM
    Thursday, August 13, 2009 3:03 PM