adding a PC to WHS2010 RRS feed

• Question

• I have installed WHS2010 on a brand new server and started to connect t total of 5 PC's to the server.

My laptop and first PC went fine. A third PC started off the same manner but suddenly I get the error message: Windows Server Client Deployment Wizard has encountered a problem and needs to close.

The first PC I signed on has the same XP-SP3 and Microsoft.Net v4 installed so I have no idea what the problem is.

Any suggestions???

Sunday, July 10, 2011 6:19 PM

All replies

• It's probably one of these two items in the registry:

1. 1. Open Regedit
      2. Find the key "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager"
      3. Rename the "PendingFileRenameOperations" value to "PendingFileRenameOperations2"
    2. Or, Search for Windows Home Server 2011 in the registry.  Clear the entry completely as this is left over from a previous install.

You may need to do both things.

Monday, July 11, 2011 5:44 PM
  • I made the modification in the registry and searched for a "Windows Home Server 2011"string (didn't find one)

The problem remains.

Hopefully you have another suggestion?

Is there a listing of failures/problems thatcause the error message I get?

Jan Volkering
    Monday, July 11, 2011 9:12 PM
  • You don't have duplicate machine names by any chance?.

Only a thought!

Dave 

The Frog on the Lilypad at Home
    Tuesday, July 12, 2011 10:56 AM
  • Ah,  if it was only that simple!

No, I have unique names (only ASCII as suggested in the WHS2011 help files) as machine names.

Any additional suggestions are welcome!!

I found a way to get some error reporting info fromWindows Server Client Deployment Wizard.

Is there someone who knows what to do with that???

Jan Volkering

Tuesday, July 12, 2011 12:17 PM