New Update Disaster RRS feed

• Question

• I would like to know just what is going on. I got an update downloaded to my system, then I lose access to the update server forcing me to reinstall Live OneCare 2.0, and guess what, I can't redownload the update that was downloaded to my system again. There is no excuse for this bulloney, and I'm not happy about what happened.

The version I wound up with after the update was version 2.0.2500.44. I'm not happy, that I can't run the updater and redownload. There needs to be some serioud changes to the way updates are put out to people.

As of yet, I haven't recieved the major update, and I'm sitting here without a new version or the minor revision that I had originally recieved on my system.

Honestly, how can I keep on using this program, after having to go through a mess like this. I've never seen such stupidity, in not allowing one to redownload a minor update to the program, while one waits to get the major update staged to him.

Sunday, February 3, 2008 1:16 AM

Answers

• The latest version of OneCare can always be obtained from http://onecare.live.com

At this point, as of 1/31, that version is 2.0.2500.22

-steve

Monday, February 4, 2008 2:04 PM

All replies

• I hear ya!!!! I am having serious problems with my update, it wont complete it and says im at risk without it.... I cannot find a single HELP number ANYWHERE and am so peeved right now I could scream. Apparently its a required installation, but the help menu I click on goes AROUND AND ROUND in circles not giving me an answer. aaaarrrrrrrrr

Sunday, February 3, 2008 4:49 AM
  • I'm seriously considering getting funds together, to get a competing internet security package. I'm currently sitting here with version 2.0.2500.22, which has caused me some trouble with the probing of my wireless router, and still does more than once a day, which isn't needed. I never got a chance to put version 2.0.2500.44 to the test, to see if it was going to cause any problems or not.

Nice going Microsoft, screwing me out of access to the update server, forcing me to reinstall Live OneCare, and now not able to redownload version 2.0.2500.44.

Sunday, February 3, 2008 5:05 AM
  • I didn't even bother trying to reinstall.

I see initially that Live One Care had turned off all of the firewall and virus/spyware protection to my PC, leaving me totally vulnerable to anything coming down the wire. I bought it to protect me, not inadvertantly shut itself off and leave me fending for myself. (Is there a warranty?) Yes I'm stuck here in the mud with the rest of you. I don't see the Microsoft tow truck anywhere and it's Sunday so they're probably closed.

Ticked off? You bet! The only, repeat ONLY, reason I got this software in the first place is that my beloved F-Prot AntiVirus is not yet available for Vista. When it is, rest assured I'm running over and grabbing it.

Isn't it funny how Microsoft software won't even play well with other Microsoft software?

(Still ticked off..)

Sunday, February 3, 2008 4:59 PM
  • On top of this, the major update that was supposed to have been out by about February 1ST, I still have yet to get it. It should have been posted on one website, where Live OneCare users can download it and install it, in one neat little package, none of this sending out when they feel they are good and ready to send it out to different groups of people, in different batches.

That is flat out, no customer service and treating customers like second class citizens. It seems to me, that I now have to get funds to together for internet security package, that may or may not be any better than Live OneCare, in terms of resourced usage and so on.

What I would like to say, and suggest people do, would probably get me booted off these forums.

Sunday, February 3, 2008 8:41 PM
  • The latest version of OneCare can always be obtained from http://onecare.live.com

At this point, as of 1/31, that version is 2.0.2500.22

-steve

Monday, February 4, 2008 2:04 PM
  •  Nightowl224 wrote:

Nice going Microsoft, screwing me out of access to the update server, forcing me to reinstall Live OneCare, and now not able to redownload version 2.0.2500.44.

There is no .44 version.

The previous build was .14 and the latest build is .22

-steve

Monday, February 4, 2008 2:05 PM
  •  Pythor wrote:
    I didn't even bother trying to reinstall.

I see initially that Live One Care had turned off all of the firewall and virus/spyware protection to my PC, leaving me totally vulnerable to anything coming down the wire. I bought it to protect me, not inadvertantly shut itself off and leave me fending for myself. (Is there a warranty?) Yes I'm stuck here in the mud with the rest of you. I don't see the Microsoft tow truck anywhere and it's Sunday so they're probably closed.

Ticked off? You bet! The only, repeat ONLY, reason I got this software in the first place is that my beloved F-Prot AntiVirus is not yet available for Vista. When it is, rest assured I'm running over and grabbing it.

Isn't it funny how Microsoft software won't even play well with other Microsoft software?

(Still ticked off..)

The services are turned off for the update in order to replace these components in the update process. The network is locked down before the firewall is turned off, so no inbound traffic is allowed.

What is the current status of OneCare on your system after the reboot?

See these posts:

Firewall repair tool - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2468376&SiteID=2

OneCare won't start - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2523777&SiteID=2

Virus and Spyware repair tool - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2667445&SiteID=2

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Monday, February 4, 2008 2:07 PM
  •  Nightowl224 wrote:

On top of this, the major update that was supposed to have been out by about February 1ST, I still have yet to get it. It should have been posted on one website, where Live OneCare users can download it and install it, in one neat little package, none of this sending out when they feel they are good and ready to send it out to different groups of people, in different batches.

That is flat out, no customer service and treating customers like second class citizens. It seems to me, that I now have to get funds to together for internet security package, that may or may not be any better than Live OneCare, in terms of resourced usage and so on.

What I would like to say, and suggest people do, would probably get me booted off these forums.

I understand your frustration, as you encountered problems with this update.

If you have reinstalled and OneCare is running, you are at the latest build.

This update had the potential for problems as it replaces some core components and supporting files and services. As with the original 2.0 upgrade, this exposes greater risk for systems with unusual configurations.

-steve

Monday, February 4, 2008 2:10 PM
  • Had the same problem as most people in this forum.

Update 2.0.2500.22 killed my OneCare earlier today. Nothing started left my machine totally vulnerable (sound familiar??).

After running the repair tools for Firewall, Malware & AV, Database cleanup, repermisioning for OneCare etc.. now starts all services & report ok but OneCare status is still Red and reports it "Onecare couldn't install a required update" (clearly retrying to install 2.0.2500.22).

Is there anyway to ignore, force the update???

Would rather not have to uninstall/re-install (run the cleanup tool) as it's taken me this long to get it back to an operating state. 

Config.

VISTA Business

OneCare 2.0.2500.14

Thanks in advance.
    Monday, February 4, 2008 10:42 PM
  •  r00nster wrote:

Had the same problem as most people in this forum.

Update 2.0.2500.22 killed my OneCare earlier today. Nothing started left my machine totally vulnerable (sound familiar??).

After running the repair tools for Firewall, Malware & AV, Database cleanup, repermisioning for OneCare etc.. now starts all services & report ok but OneCare status is still Red and reports it "Onecare couldn't install a required update" (clearly retrying to install 2.0.2500.22).

Is there anyway to ignore, force the update???

Would rather not have to uninstall/re-install (run the cleanup tool) as it's taken me this long to get it back to an operating state. 

Config.

VISTA Business

OneCare 2.0.2500.14

Thanks in advance.

I agree that the uninstall path is least desirable and should be avoided.

So, it would appear the the update banged into something and that's why it failed, though now you're still at the previous version.

Did you run the database cleanup tool for update problems in the FAQ post?

-steve

Tuesday, February 5, 2008 1:13 AM
  • Steve, I encountered similar problems to those mentioned by other users in various threads after the Jan. 31 update to OneCare. I tried the suggested repair tools and even ran the Boot.ini repair tool, which found no problems, and none of  these tools solved my problems. The only suggestion at the Help Center which worked was to uninstall OneCare, run the clean-up tool and reinstall OneCare. However, even the Windows Live OneCare by Qwest Help Center uninstall directions were wrong, They said to right click on C:\Program Files\Microsoft Windows OneCare Live\Staging\WinSS.msi and then click on uninstall. That gave me an error message saying I should use Start-->Control Panel-->Add or Remove Programs (the normal way, duh!) in order to do the uninstall. Does Qwest have a different version of OneCare or of the Help Center from Microsoft's main one? If so, I have a beef with Qwest; if not, then the Microsoft documentation staff who wrote some of the help screens I've encountered could do a much better job, IMHO!

Anyway, I'm back in business with OneCare running fine after re installation of version 2.0.2500.22. I do have one major complaint and question about both the repair tool and the uninstall/reinstall methods of repairing OneCare. These wipe out your custom firewall settings and your last run statistics, files backed up, etc. I really don't like to have to do a full backup copy of my files all over again every time I have to repair OneCare. That requires a new blank DVD to copy thousands of files rather than reusing a partially full DVD to do small incremental backups of a few hundred files at most every one to three weeks. Is there any way to save some of those settings without restarting from scratch?

Finally, is version 2.0.2500.22 the permanent fix for high CPU usage promised for about Jan. 31 (or the second week in Feb., per OneCare Live Tech Support people to whom I spoke)? I had that problem, and after getting no real help from OneCare Tech Support, I found your forum post High CPU - PC Unresponsive w/OneCare - (winss and svchost) - FIX and used the work-around you suggested with great results. Thank you very much for that help! Smile Anyway, if 2.0.2500.22 is the permanent fix, are the Windows networking - Peer Name Resolution Protocol and Peer Networking Identity Manager conflicts you mentioned in your other post resolved? You edited that post and removed comments by another Microsoft staff member about what PNRP and PNIM help with, so I'm just wondering if it is safe to turn them back on. I will leave Network Location Awareness started automatically in any case, but if I restart PRNP and PNIM to facilitate or speed up communication between the PCs in my home network, what should I set the startup types to? I don't remember what those settings were before I stopped and disabled them.

Any answers, clarifications or help would be greatly appreciated.

Tuesday, February 5, 2008 1:13 AM
  • Stephen,

I little confused about this issue. You posted that the described problem has been fixed by version 2.0.2500.22.  Other users claim that 2.0.2500.22 does not fix the problem, infact they also indicate there are other issues with this newer version? Please confirm. 

I too have been hit by this bad update and I'm reluctant to spend any more time on it.

I've already had to manually update my Path variable, run OneCareFirewallRepair and CaclsDeleteDB as indicated by a Microsoft posting. These steps have allowed the firewall and malware protection to be turn on but Onecare is still red.

-Robert

Tuesday, February 5, 2008 3:29 AM
  • Hello, Kip.

Thanks for the detailed post. I hope to learn more about the high CPU issue and the .22 update soon. At this point, I would not reset the services for PNRP. They are not likely to be needed by anything on your system. The protocols are used by IPv6 and that is not used by much. I don't recall what I edited in the post, but I believe that the gist of what the services are for is still there. I believe the original post speculated on some applications that might use the service and since it was speculation, I chose to remove that.

If you wish to restart the services and see what happens, the setting would be "automatic" and they would be started if a program needing them called them.

I am aware of the pain of a reinstall and the loss of all settings. :-( I wish that were not so...

-steve

Tuesday, February 5, 2008 7:57 PM
  •  ghinz wrote:

Stephen,

I little confused about this issue. You posted that the described problem has been fixed by version 2.0.2500.22.  Other users claim that 2.0.2500.22 does not fix the problem, infact they also indicate there are other issues with this newer version? Please confirm. 

I too have been hit by this bad update and I'm reluctant to spend any more time on it.

I've already had to manually update my Path variable, run OneCareFirewallRepair and CaclsDeleteDB as indicated by a Microsoft posting. These steps have allowed the firewall and malware protection to be turn on but Onecare is still red.

-Robert

Hello, Robert. As I just replied moments ago, I can't say for certain how the high CPU issue and the PNRP services relationship was fixed, but it is my understanding that it was. If you disabled the PNRP services, there is no reason to enable them again.

Yes, there are issues with the update, as it replaces some core components. I'm not yet aware of any longer term performance issues with the new version, though.

I don't know why your status remains red after all of the fixes were run. I read at least one other post describing the same, so stay tuned or contact support to see if they have a resolution I'm not aware of yet.

-steve

Tuesday, February 5, 2008 8:01 PM
  • OK Mr MVP (aka BS PHD),

The bottom line is we are left in a state of NO Protection, Wasted hours trying to install, reboot, install, etc.

Tell someone who CAN help to start figuring it out.

We have a problem caused by your software,

We are left in a bad situation and wasting our time with unworkable solutions or

your pretending the problem is something that you understand (WHICH YOU DONT) and

it is easily fixed is adding insult to injury.

Get someone else who knows what they are doing to figure out what is going on!

The Details of my messages are:

------------

Urgent:

Turn on firewall

The OneCare firewall is off.  This PC may be at risk from Internet threats  [ Turn on ]

.......... Pressing this button leads does not work ---- I have tried about 10 times!!! ............

---------

Urgent:

Go to the Help Center

OneCare couldn't install a required update on this PC.  Until this problem is

fixed, this PC may be at risk from internet threats  [ Help ]

.......... Pressing this button leads to two choices:

Reset premissions for oneCare

Go online to search for answers to your question

I have tried all potential paths and none seem to work ---- I have tried about 10 times!!! ............

---------

So what the heck are we supposed to do.

Please fix this ASAP - I am very upset about this.

Wednesday, February 6, 2008 5:03 AM
  • Steve

I'd already tried this but tried it again anyway and it still didn't work, I have the same problem.

OneCare services run with the latest signatures but reports a "Red" status as it can't install a required update???

The last tool I ran was "CaclsDeleteDB". This reports it was successful, OneCare restarts, again checks for updates and fails to install.

BTW.. I've not run any of the tools as the "Administrator" user but another user with Admin privledges (member of the local adminstrators group). Not sure if this matters?

Do you have any other suggestions?

I've also noted a tool "RestoreInstallXML" which I believe is the tool you might need to run when a refresh install won't start the update process. Is it worth try running this tool also?

Rooney

Wednesday, February 6, 2008 4:01 PM
  •  

I have experienced the same problem as John6 above.

We have 15 computers in the office that are running onecare and since the update was deployed every OneCare installation has been crippled, yielding the same messages about fixing it.  After looking into the problem I was able to find the cause of the problem. 

The update was corrupted and REMOVED the Firewall service COMPLETELY!! 

Check for yourself. Right-click "My Computer" and choose "Manage". Under "Services" look for the service named "OneCare Firewall Service".  Unfortunately the only solution to this is to reinstall. Best to use the OneCare Cleanup utility to completely remove OneCare (well almost).  I have been in contact with OneCare's phone support team located in our lovely state of India and FYI, they have absolutely no clue that anyone is having problems with the update... nor do they have a solution.

These issues could be avoided in the future if Microsoft is willing to take the following steps:

1.  Test your updates!

2.  Allow users to configure the update process.

a.  Manual update anyone? (remember, not everyone is online 24/7 to receive sporadic updates)

b.  Example: Maybe i want to automatically update virus definitions but be prompted to update the program manually. Can i do it? NO.

c.  Also, according to "John" w/ OneCare support, the only way to disable onecare's automatic updates is to turn off Windows automatic updates. Guess coding a separate update engine was out of the question...

3.  Rollback option?

If office can rollback a failed update/installation, why not OneCare?

4.  Automatically reboot!

Windows update prompts when a reboot is necessary, even on failed updates. Stay consistent.

Needless to say, my week has been very busy here at work since this update. It has forced me to attend to each workstation that was updated and reinstall onecare as users cannot print or access the network due to the removal of the firewall service. 

I'm questioning whether or not OneCare was ever intended for business environments and after this experience I will be looking into other options. Sure, some AV's may be more vulnerable to being disabled by virii but atleast they dont get killed by their own updates!

Wednesday, February 6, 2008 6:53 PM
  • Gizmopromo,

Along with your 15 computers do you also have a Windows 2003 Server? For this number of clients Microsoft would generally expect that you'd have such a server using Activie Directory and thus be able to use the ForeFront Security suite which is designed for such environments.

OneCare was really designed for individual home users though it does have some application in the SOHO (Small Office/Home Office) environment. In larger networks both its management and operation are less effective, since this generally requires things like firewall exceptions and server based sharing.

ForeFront Security contains the same core AV and AS components as OneCare, but no firewall since the builtin Windows firewall can be centrally managed with Active Directory, including two-way with Vista.

OneCareBear

Wednesday, February 6, 2008 7:51 PM
  •  

Thanks for the fast response OneCareBear.  We do have a 2003 server on the network as well however it is currently just used for shared network storage and backup purposes. I plan on setting up Active Directory and and a Domain Controller in the near future, however, it has been postponed as I am currently wrapped up with other projects. Since the entire network consists of 15 pc's total, 9 of which are used daily, i feel the workgroup is perfectly fine. All our systems are Win XP SP2 (Vista is not ready for business use due to program compatibility).  We chose OneCare after testing it in beta and loved its small footprint and comprehensiveness. In fact, I use it on 2 of the family pc's and I get to deal with this mess when I get home as well.

All upselling aside... this question is in regard to OneCare and the issues caused by the latest update. So questioning it's choice for use does not excuse it for performing poorly. ForeFront had been a consideration for the future but given what I've seen in OneCare I sorta doubt Microsoft has a clue what it is doing in the AV market. As for firewalls, I prefer hardware over software and would place no faith in the built in firewall in windows.

I appreciate your reply but please lets not stray fro the topic at hand. OneCare's update has some serious issues and users who are unaware their OneCare is broken are left completely vulnerable (typical home user). Let's work on a resolution as opposed to a comission.

Thanks,

Wednesday, February 6, 2008 9:35 PM
  •  Gizmopromo wrote:

Thanks for the fast response OneCareBear.  We do have a 2003 server on the network as well however it is currently just used for shared network storage and backup purposes. I plan on setting up Active Directory and and a Domain Controller in the near future, however, it has been postponed as I am currently wrapped up with other projects. Since the entire network consists of 15 pc's total, 9 of which are used daily, i feel the workgroup is perfectly fine. All our systems are Win XP SP2 (Vista is not ready for business use due to program compatibility).  We chose OneCare after testing it in beta and loved its small footprint and comprehensiveness. In fact, I use it on 2 of the family pc's and I get to deal with this mess when I get home as well.

All upselling aside... this question is in regard to OneCare and the issues caused by the latest update. So questioning it's choice for use does not excuse it for performing poorly. ForeFront had been a consideration for the future but given what I've seen in OneCare I sorta doubt Microsoft has a clue what it is doing in the AV market. As for firewalls, I prefer hardware over software and would place no faith in the built in firewall in windows.

I appreciate your reply but please lets not stray fro the topic at hand. OneCare's update has some serious issues and users who are unaware their OneCare is broken are left completely vulnerable (typical home user). Let's work on a resolution as opposed to a comission.

Thanks,

Gizmopromo,

You asked whether OneCare was designed for business environments, so that's what I was answering and in your case, it's really not. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised to find that in your specific case something in your server based environment is helping to cause this problem. I know you think you are operating in a peer environment, but the moment you started sharing from the server, some of its network design complications take effect.

I'm not upselling, I don't work for Microsoft at all, I'm just telling you which product they recommend for your type of business, and it's absolutley NOT Onecare. As for firewalls, I'd be completely surprised if you told me you were operating without a hardware firewall, the software firewall is only necessary to protect from internal attacks in most business networks. That's why it's purposefully not included in ForeFront, since all software firewalls do in business environments is cause user and server access issues.

In any case, once you enable Active Directory there is absolutely no way you can make Onecare work effectively, since it doesn't work properly in a Group Policy managed environment. ForeFront is designed precisely for this exact design, so I suggest you look into this before you try to make the changes to 2003 Server that you intend.

I agree that the core issue of problems with the update is a separate one, which is why I addressed both of these answers directly to you and the specific subject of your last question only. The others have a specific issue relating to OneCare to resolve, but in your case it might be better to simply realize that OneCare isn't appropriate in your environment anymore and spend your time resolving it in a way that will have value for you and your organization in the future.

OneCareBear

Wednesday, February 6, 2008 11:01 PM
  •  

I am a simple home user of Windows XP and have the same issue with Windows Live One Care that everyone else is facing.  I have NO firewall protection!  What is the solution for a home user?  Please help!
    Wednesday, February 6, 2008 11:31 PM
  •  Stephen Boots wrote:

Hello, Kip.

Thanks for the detailed post. I hope to learn more about the high CPU issue and the .22 update soon. At this point, I would not reset the services for PNRP. They are not likely to be needed by anything on your system. The protocols are used by IPv6 and that is not used by much. I don't recall what I edited in the post, but I believe that the gist of what the services are for is still there. I believe the original post speculated on some applications that might use the service and since it was speculation, I chose to remove that.

If you wish to restart the services and see what happens, the setting would be "automatic" and they would be started if a program needing them called them.

I am aware of the pain of a reinstall and the loss of all settings. :-( I wish that were not so...

-steve

Hi again, Steve.

Thanks for the reply and clarification as well as the sympathy for loss of all settings after a reinstall.

FYI, I tried restarting the PNRP and PNIM services with the automatic startup setting as you suggested and then actually started them manually earlier this afternoon. With the new .22 update I had no problems with runaway svchost processes and only occasional 100% CPU utilization when I opened OneCare and ran a manual AV and AS scan while having five or six open windows with five or six IE7 tabs in one window and many background processes all going simultaneously. Note that this is on an older 2001 AMD Athlon 1.2 GHz processor with only 768 MB of RAM on an XP Home SP2 OS. The only problem I did experience was that OneCare opened a little bit more slowly than usual a while ago, but that might not have had anything to do with the peer networking services. Therefore, I would definitely state that in my case the new .22 update resolved the high CPU usage amd other problems, although it took an uninstall, clean-up and reinstall to do so. Unfortunately, I cannot speak for the other users who have posted to this or simliar OneCare threads with continuing update problems.

BTW, my AV and AS quick scan ran at approximately normal speed and just completed successfully a few minutes ago, so I may not disable the peer networking services again unless I experience problems in the future.

Wednesday, February 6, 2008 11:36 PM
  •  

ok OneCareBear,

Perhaps i read too much into what you stated earlier and focused on it too much. The structure at the office isnt a server based environment per se, just a slightly larger home network. The "sharing" on the network is simple File & Printer sharing to allow others access to files stored on another's pc (something OneCare is fully capable of handling without issue). Once i move to a domain I'm aware I'll need another option and will deal with that when the time comes.

My concern here is the problems caused by the update and finding the best way to resolve them. I have 2 pc's at home (XP SP2 Home ed. OEM) that use OneCare as well as one at a relative's. The focus of my first post was centered on the fact that updates are pushed to the machines. Users have no way to manually update or postpone an update. If the computer gets shutdown each night it's likely to miss quite a few updates. The other points in that post were related to features that seem to be missing and to provide others with some insight into what happened with the update.

As for this update and Onecare, here is my understanding from what I've found:

The update that was pushed to everyone Monday was corrupted. It encounters an error and the update process fails. Since there was no "rollback" option available in the update package, OneCare is disabled and the user is not prompted.

Check your services for OneCare Firewall Service. You'll see that it is gone as well. The best course of action to take now is to reinstall OneCare. (Adding the service back manually gets too complicated for most users and does not guarantee that everything will be fixed).  I suspect that the error occurred somewhere during the Microsoft Protection Service installation. Regardless, if you're reading this you've probably been updated anyway and its too late.

My Solution:

1.  Uninstall Windows Live OneCare from the Add/Remove programs window.

2.  Run the OneCare Cleanup utility to remove traces of OneCare (Download here: http://download.microsoft.com/download/4/c/b/4cb845e7-1076-437b-852a-7842a8ab13c8/OneCareCleanUp.exe)

3.  Reinstall OneCare.

Hope this helps those of you who are looking for answers.

Thursday, February 7, 2008 12:50 AM
  •  John6 wrote:

OK Mr MVP (aka BS PHD),

The bottom line is we are left in a state of NO Protection, Wasted hours trying to install, reboot, install, etc.

Tell someone who CAN help to start figuring it out.

We have a problem caused by your software,

We are left in a bad situation and wasting our time with unworkable solutions or

your pretending the problem is something that you understand (WHICH YOU DONT) and

it is easily fixed is adding insult to injury.

Get someone else who knows what they are doing to figure out what is going on!

John6, I'm sorry that you've encountered a problem with the update.

Note that it is not my software and that I do not work for Microsoft. The moderators here are volunteers and customers.

No, I don't understand the cause of the upgrade failures in detail and there are many possible causes. The basic reason is that something is broken with the upgrade.

If the current state of your OneCare installation is per the above, firewall off and update failed, the basic troubleshooting for the problem is as follows:

Firewall repair tool - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2468376&SiteID=2

You may need to reboot and run the firewall repair tool more than once. After the firewall is turned on, address the upgrade problem by opening OneCare and clicking Check for Updates. If it fails, you can either uninstall and reinstall OneCare (use the cleanup tool in between - 

http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=828910&SiteID=2

*or*

Contact support - 

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Thursday, February 7, 2008 1:24 AM
  •  Kip Marzeck wrote:

Hi again, Steve.

Thanks for the reply and clarification as well as the sympathy for loss of all settings after a reinstall.

FYI, I tried restarting the PNRP and PNIM services with the automatic startup setting as you suggested and then actually started them manually earlier this afternoon. With the new .22 update I had no problems with runaway svchost processes and only occasional 100% CPU utilization when I opened OneCare and ran a manual AV and AS scan while having five or six open windows with five or six IE7 tabs in one window and many background processes all going simultaneously. Note that this is on an older 2001 AMD Athlon 1.2 GHz processor with only 768 MB of RAM on an XP Home SP2 OS. The only problem I did experience was that OneCare opened a little bit more slowly than usual a while ago, but that might not have had anything to do with the peer networking services. Therefore, I would definitely state that in my case the new .22 update resolved the high CPU usage amd other problems, although it took an uninstall, clean-up and reinstall to do so. Unfortunately, I cannot speak for the other users who have posted to this or simliar OneCare threads with continuing update problems.

BTW, my AV and AS quick scan ran at approximately normal speed and just completed successfully a few minutes ago, so I may not disable the peer networking services again unless I experience problems in the future.

I learned the status yesterday evening, but was not able to return here, so thanks for the reply (though I'm afraid that there are other posts in this crowded thread that I may miss!).

You can safely set the two Peer networking services on after the update to .22 on an XP machine, which had the problem under .14

-steve

Thursday, February 7, 2008 1:30 AM
  •  r00nster wrote:

Steve

I'd already tried this but tried it again anyway and it still didn't work, I have the same problem.

OneCare services run with the latest signatures but reports a "Red" status as it can't install a required update???

The last tool I ran was "CaclsDeleteDB". This reports it was successful, OneCare restarts, again checks for updates and fails to install.

BTW.. I've not run any of the tools as the "Administrator" user but another user with Admin privledges (member of the local adminstrators group). Not sure if this matters?

Do you have any other suggestions?

I've also noted a tool "RestoreInstallXML" which I believe is the tool you might need to run when a refresh install won't start the update process. Is it worth try running this tool also?

Rooney

Hello, Rooney. On XP as an administrator, you should be able to run the tools without a problem.

I don't believe that the RestoreinstallXML program is the update, but possibly is part of it. If it is still failing at this point, please contact support - 

-steve
    Thursday, February 7, 2008 1:43 AM
  •  Gizmopromo wrote:

As for this update and Onecare, here is my understanding from what I've found:

The update that was pushed to everyone Monday was corrupted. It encounters an error and the update process fails. Since there was no "rollback" option available in the update package, OneCare is disabled and the user is not prompted.

Check your services for OneCare Firewall Service. You'll see that it is gone as well. The best course of action to take now is to reinstall OneCare. (Adding the service back manually gets too complicated for most users and does not guarantee that everything will be fixed).  I suspect that the error occurred somewhere during the Microsoft Protection Service installation. Regardless, if you're reading this you've probably been updated anyway and its too late.

My Solution:

1.  Uninstall Windows Live OneCare from the Add/Remove programs window.

2.  Run the OneCare Cleanup utility to remove traces of OneCare (Download here: http://download.microsoft.com/download/4/c/b/4cb845e7-1076-437b-852a-7842a8ab13c8/OneCareCleanUp.exe)

3.  Reinstall OneCare.

Hope this helps those of you who are looking for answers.

Hi, Gizompromo.

Sorry that you encountered problems with the upgrade on multiple machines.

Yes, your solution works in most cases. It is what I refer to as the "hit it with a hammer" solution.

No, the update was not corrupted. I certainly don't know statistics, but my guess is that the vast majority of users did not encounter problems with the update to 2.0.2500.22. However, some did because it is a pretty major update in that many core components are updated. If the update fails, it rolls back to the .14 version, but in some cases, the firewall breaks when it rolls back. I don't know why, but suspect that it has to do with services and permissions.

When the firewall breaks, the fix that usually works is - reboot, run the firewall repair tool, reboot, and retry the update. You can manually kick start the update, by opening OneCare and clicking Check for Updates, but it will retry anyway.

If it still fails to update, the hammer solution is probably the way to go, but most cases will be resolved by using the firewall repair tool and then letting it update again.

-steve

Thursday, February 7, 2008 1:50 AM
  •  

Gizmopromo You the Man (or woman)!

I did what you said

Uninstall,

Clean up,

Re-Install

and now I am back to a "Normal" state!

Thanks,

-John

Thursday, February 7, 2008 4:10 AM
  •  John6 wrote:

Gizmopromo You the Man (or woman)!

I did what you said

Uninstall,

Clean up,

Re-Install

and now I am back to a "Normal" state!

Thanks,

-John

John, I'm glad to read that the "hammer" approach resolved your failed update problem and sorry for the troubles you encountered.

-steve

Thursday, February 7, 2008 12:55 PM
  • I was just wondering, what is it exactly that is preventing onecare from updating or turning the firewall on? Is it something that is missing or did it just run into a bug with my computer, because i have the same messages where it cant successfully install an update and the firewall wont start unless it has the update. I followed all of the instruction online and they dont work. Now, i used up the three installations that come with the software on my home pc and notebooks so will i have to buy a new product key to reinstall the software again after uninstalling it or will it recognize that i still have a years' subscription on this computer?

Friday, February 8, 2008 5:30 AM
  • You don't need to buy another subscription, since you are reinstalling. The total of 3 licenses means that you can't install it and run it on more than 3 computers. You can replace a computer and install to the new one or reinstall as often as desired.

The problem with the update and firewall is because this latest update replaces some core services. If these services can't be replaced, the update fails and the firewall breaks. You should be able to repair the firewall with the tool and force the update, but if that doesn't work, a reinstall after using the cleanup tool will usually fix it.

Cleanup tool - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=828910&SiteID=2

So, on the PC that is in the failed state, if the firewall repair tool (and a reboot afterwards) doesn't resolve the firewall problem or if the update fails again after you've repaired the firewall, uninstall OneCare.

The use the cleanup tool.

Reboot.

Install from http://onecare.live.com

Activate with the LiveID for your subscription.

-steve

Friday, February 8, 2008 1:11 PM
  •  

I did that.

3 times.

I've spent more time on my new laptop trying to fix Live One Care than about anything else. I have since removed Live One Care permanently from this ($3500) laptop, due to concerns that it remains vulnerable to attack from outside applications. I have installed F-Prot (mentioned earlier) which fixes all of my issues and gives me back the firewall application in a working state.

It's definitely something in Live One Care that causes this problem with Vista (Ultimate). I may try again after the update to SP1 is released, or not.

The retailer has a sold copy and I've since registered it online so my chances of getting any sort of refund for a defunct program are now out of the question. I'll put it in the box with my copy of OS/2 Warp!

Sunday, February 10, 2008 3:14 AM