Server not showing in dashboard RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Folks,

I am trying to configure the server backup in WHS2011. I have added a new drive and configured it for doing backups and by the look of the free space it has performed at least one (have it scheduled twice a day). 

I want to be able to change some of the settings and to test out a restore.  According to the help documentation I should see the server listed in the computers and backup panel on the dashboard. However, my server is not listed and I can only see the desktop that has the connector installed.  

Does anyone know of a fix for getting the server listed?

Regards

Andy

Saturday, December 17, 2011 7:00 AM

Answers

• Never been there as far as I can remember,

No Add-Ins

Always used the dashboard

OK, did you change the Workgroup name for your Server either during or after installation?

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    • Marked as answer by TwoSeven Friday, December 23, 2011 6:43 AM
    Wednesday, December 21, 2011 10:41 PM

All replies

• It may be a silly suggestion, but do you have the Server Pane expanded (arrow on the right hand end of the Server line should be pointing up)?

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Saturday, December 17, 2011 1:12 PM
  • There is no 'server line' or appropriate right hand arrow (I think these are just groups).  To double check on what you mean if I go to the 'server folders and hard drive' screen and then the hard drives screen, there is a 'server backup' panel which is similar. My backup device is listed here, but it does not contain any info about changing backup options or performing a restore.

The help documentation implies that I should have the  'server' listed on the 'computers and backup' screen, but this is missing.

The version of WHS is 6.1 Build 7601 SP1.

Saturday, December 17, 2011 9:25 PM
  • Yes, in the "Computers and Backup" screen you should see "Computers" under which there should be a list of your connected clients. Below that, you should see "Server" and below that you should see your server listed.

Has it ever been there? Do you have any Add-Ins installed? Have you done any server configuration outside the Dashboard?

Sunday, December 18, 2011 12:25 AM

No Add-Ins

Monday, December 19, 2011 5:37 AM
  • Re-install?
    Monday, December 19, 2011 12:32 PM
  • Hi, Andy

Please refer this page http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/winfamily/windowshomeserver/protect.mspx. Could you see the same layout in your dashboard?

In the screenshot, the 3rd tab is "Computer and Backup", if you click it, you can see the clients and server.

If you want to configure the server backup policy, you can click "Set up server backup" if you haven't configured before or "Customize Backup for the server" if you have configured it already and just want to make a change in the Tasks. The tasks is at right pane of launchpad.

What you have seen in this tab? Is your server and clients shown there correctly? If not, please provide us more info.

Best Regards,

Junyong

Tuesday, December 20, 2011 7:26 AM
  • @Junyong Yao - you know, it would be more useful if the product pages that you refer to had thumbnails that linked to full size screenshots. Just having tiny dead thumbnails and expecting us to squint at them trying to make out what they are showing is an exercise in frustration and poor marketing.

I complained about the poor quality of the product pages six months ago (and gave feedback direct to Microsoft), but I see that nothing has been done to improve them.

• Edited by Geoffc1 Tuesday, December 20, 2011 11:01 AM
    Tuesday, December 20, 2011 10:54 AM

No Add-Ins

OK, did you change the Workgroup name for your Server either during or after installation?

• Marked as answer by TwoSeven Friday, December 23, 2011 6:43 AM
    Wednesday, December 21, 2011 10:41 PM
  • Highly likely, but in the end I solved the issue by re-installing and leaving all of the settings as default.

Friday, December 23, 2011 6:43 AM