none
Using MS Virtual Labs for 70-462 RRS feed

• Question

• Are there any tutorials or blogs online to assist in using the MS virtual labs for installing and configuring SQL Server 2012? I was looking for something specific to the virtual labs to use in conjunction with the 70-462 Training Kit.

Thursday, June 4, 2015 4:10 PM

Answers

• The "real" online lab for course 20462 does contain an installation and configuration exercise in module 2. However, you will only have access to this lab if you have purchased the course.

The main problem that you will encounter if you try to run an installation in one of the "public" online labs is that, at least those that I have seen, do not have access to the Internet. This means that you will not be able to download the installation media onto the virtual machine, so you won't be able to perform the installation unless you find a lab that already contains the setup files.

You can install SQL Server 2012 on your own personal PC. It doens't have too stringent requirements, so any reasonably modern PC should be able to support it without trouble.

As an alternative, open an account in Azure (if you don't already have it) and allocate a virtual machine (an A2 should be enough). Then install SQL Server there. The VM only costs a few cents per hour. If you remember to shut it down when you are not using it, the total cost will be insignificant, and it will let you experiment with SQL Server as much as you need.

• Marked as answer by DavidWIII Wednesday, June 10, 2015 5:20 PM
    Saturday, June 6, 2015 7:27 AM

All replies

• The "real" online lab for course 20462 does contain an installation and configuration exercise in module 2. However, you will only have access to this lab if you have purchased the course.

The main problem that you will encounter if you try to run an installation in one of the "public" online labs is that, at least those that I have seen, do not have access to the Internet. This means that you will not be able to download the installation media onto the virtual machine, so you won't be able to perform the installation unless you find a lab that already contains the setup files.

You can install SQL Server 2012 on your own personal PC. It doens't have too stringent requirements, so any reasonably modern PC should be able to support it without trouble.

As an alternative, open an account in Azure (if you don't already have it) and allocate a virtual machine (an A2 should be enough). Then install SQL Server there. The VM only costs a few cents per hour. If you remember to shut it down when you are not using it, the total cost will be insignificant, and it will let you experiment with SQL Server as much as you need.

• Marked as answer by DavidWIII Wednesday, June 10, 2015 5:20 PM
    Saturday, June 6, 2015 7:27 AM
  • Thanks, Alberto.

Someone had told me I could install it on the free virtual labs. Apparently that person was mistaken. I've already installed SQL Server 2012 during a training camp and have already passed the 70-462 exam. I just wanted to play around with the labs.

I will look into using a VM. I've seen that advice elsewhere.

Wednesday, June 10, 2015 5:29 PM