Replace system disk fails RRS feed

• Question

• I have searched this forum and the internet and have not found an answer.

I am running WHS on a GA-MA69GM-S2H with 8 Sata drives attached to the onboard controller and 2 PCI 4 port cards. The system disk is a 250GB drive on the first port of the onboard controller. I have duplication enabled for most of my data.

I bought a new 500GB drive and decided that I'd like to use it as the system drive.

Unplugged old sys drive and put it aside, inserted WHS DVD, I got the following:
    1. With AHCI enabled get to running green microst bar but nothing further happens
    2. Switching from AHCI to Native IDE get to setup screen but no re-install option. Only new installation and this will destroy all your data.
    3. Reformating the new HDD had no effect
    4. Numerous reboots no effect
    5. Cursing got me a BSOD - who says PCs don't have a mind of their own

3hrs and no progress. Luckily I have the old sys drive and its okay.

However, this really concerns me as I am very happy with WHS but I don't want to risk loosing all my data if a system disk fails.

How do I force the re-install option or is there another path to changing the system disk?

Incidentally, info on such a basic and necessary procedure is very sketchy. Where do I find detailed information from MS on things such as replacing a system drive? Wheres the manual?
    Friday, February 15, 2008 1:55 PM

Answers

• This worked for me:

1. On your original systems disk (or in the hidden DE folder of one or more of your secondary disks) there's a folder called

D:\folders\{378*. It contains a file called whs.reg. Save this one to an external disk.

2. Disconnect power to all secondary disks (leave them connected to the controllers)

3. Install WHS on the new disk, run all updates

4. Power down, reconnect power all secondary disks, boot

5. Regedit, completely delete the key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Home Server

6. Close regedit, run the saved whs.reg

7. Reboot, check if disks are properly recognised by WHS

8. Create users, shares (exactly as they were on the original install) and connect clients.

Or use the procedure from JonTheTech in the thread Re: WHS bootdisk dead: how to reinstall WHS without losing data ? 
    Saturday, February 16, 2008 12:52 AM
  • I suspect the problem is that the system was installed with AHCI and WHS doesn't play well with AHCI. Inserting the WHS DVD causes the green microsft windows bar to run forever, never getting to the installation screen.

Running the WHS DVD with the drives set to native IDE gets to the installation screen, but no reinstall option.

This post worked for me.

WHS really needs to work better with sata drivers, itsn not like they haven't been around for a few years.
    Saturday, February 16, 2008 11:07 AM

All replies

• Are you supplying the install with the correct hard drive controller drivers when asked?  I believe it's f6.  Then you have to do it again later in the install.
    Friday, February 15, 2008 3:08 PM
  •  Enchanter wrote:
    Are you supplying the install with the correct hard drive controller drivers when asked?  I believe it's f6.  Then you have to do it again later in the install.

Yes, I have provided the drivers. F6 comes later in the install process. However, drivers aren't an issue when using native IDE.
    Friday, February 15, 2008 10:38 PM
  • How did you originally install? What did your system look like at that time?
    Saturday, February 16, 2008 12:28 AM
  • This worked for me:

1. On your original systems disk (or in the hidden DE folder of one or more of your secondary disks) there's a folder called

D:\folders\{378*. It contains a file called whs.reg. Save this one to an external disk.

2. Disconnect power to all secondary disks (leave them connected to the controllers)

5. Regedit, completely delete the key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Home Server

8. Create users, shares (exactly as they were on the original install) and connect clients.

Or use the procedure from JonTheTech in the thread Re: WHS bootdisk dead: how to reinstall WHS without losing data ? 
    Saturday, February 16, 2008 12:52 AM
  • I originally had 4 disks running as AHCI on the onboard controller
    Saturday, February 16, 2008 1:00 AM
  • Thanks, I'll give this a try.
    Saturday, February 16, 2008 1:01 AM
  • I suspect the problem is that the system was installed with AHCI and WHS doesn't play well with AHCI. Inserting the WHS DVD causes the green microsft windows bar to run forever, never getting to the installation screen.

Running the WHS DVD with the drives set to native IDE gets to the installation screen, but no reinstall option.

This post worked for me.

WHS really needs to work better with sata drivers, itsn not like they haven't been around for a few years.
    Saturday, February 16, 2008 11:07 AM
  • This worked for me:

You say completely delete the key HKEY_local.........\Windows Homes server. Does that mean delete the whole windows home server folder, or? A reg key comes up named (Default) and is a REG_SZ when i click on Windows Home Server. Should i delete this, or the whole folder? 

Was unlucky and the sata cable to the secondary disk fell of during install of WHS to the new primary drive. Will this affect if this will work?

Thanks in advance :) 

Thursday, October 8, 2009 2:28 PM
  • I am having a very similar problem. I'm trying to replace a failing 500GB SATA hard drive with a WD 2TB SATA drive and run a "server reinstall", which seems to work, but none of the data drives are seen as data drives, they are seen as disks not added to the storage pool. I really have tried just about everything except the "registry entry  trick" so far. Right now, I'm copying all of my data (3TB) from the server to another disk (2, actually), then I'll do a fresh server install with the new SATA drives, then recreate all of my shares and copy the 3TB of data over the network back to the server. Overall, I've been very happy with WHS over the past 4 years or so I've had it, but this is the end of the road. The inability to "seamlessly" replace a failed system drive is a showstopper for me and I will be looking for a suitable replacement for the WHS solution ASAP.

Art Zasadny
    Sunday, December 5, 2010 3:03 PM