Vista suddenly stopped working RRS feed

• Question

• I just got back from a trip and my Vista is telling me that it is not a genuine copy. A black screen comes up and there is no desktop and no icons. I would consider reloading everything but all the work I did last week would be gone. The work is in offline synchronized folders and I haven't been able to synchronize the folders. I can't lose that work!

How can I fix Vista?

Scott

Sunday, April 1, 2007 11:14 PM

Answers

• Are you getting the following options?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    1. Activate Windows online now --> (this will try to activate with whatever key you already have installed)
    2. Buy a new product key online --> (self-explanatory)
    3. Retype your product key --> (this is the same as "Change product key" and will give you the opportunity to enter a new key if you want to activate with a key that's not yet installed)
    4. Show me other ways to activate --> (this is will give you two more options
            a.  Use my modem to connect directly to the activation service
            b. Use the automated phone system
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If so, please try the first one and activate.  If you get an error, try "Retyping your product key" or you can use the last option to phone activate.

Please let me know what else you're seeing.  Thanks!

Monday, April 2, 2007 10:02 PM
  • Because this forum is dedicated to validation issues, you’ll need to contact outside support for the expertise necessary to troubleshoot your activation issue.  You can do so by posting or searching in the Vista pubic newsgroups, found here: http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.mspx or by following this link to Product Support Services.  Microsoft has a 90 day free support period that starts on the day you first acquire Vista. 

If you bought your computer pre-installed with Vista either from a computer store or an original equipment manufacturer (OEM) like Dell or Gateway, you’ll need to contact them for support.

Tuesday, May 15, 2007 2:34 AM

All replies

• Are you getting the following options?

1. Activate Windows online now --> (this will try to activate with whatever key you already have installed)
    2. Buy a new product key online --> (self-explanatory)
    3. Retype your product key --> (this is the same as "Change product key" and will give you the opportunity to enter a new key if you want to activate with a key that's not yet installed)
    4. Show me other ways to activate --> (this is will give you two more options
            a.  Use my modem to connect directly to the activation service
            b. Use the automated phone system

If so, please try the first one and activate.  If you get an error, try "Retyping your product key" or you can use the last option to phone activate.

Please let me know what else you're seeing.  Thanks!

Monday, April 2, 2007 10:02 PM
  • Hello, I have a legal copy of vista which came with my Laptop, but every once in a while, I get a windows pop up saying:

"The Windows Vista Home Premium product key you typed is invalid for activation"

All I have these 3 options

1) Use the automated phone system

2) Buy a new product key online

3)Type a different product key

Pls suggest me

Saturday, May 12, 2007 7:06 PM
  • Because this forum is dedicated to validation issues, you’ll need to contact outside support for the expertise necessary to troubleshoot your activation issue.  You can do so by posting or searching in the Vista pubic newsgroups, found here: http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.mspx or by following this link to Product Support Services.  Microsoft has a 90 day free support period that starts on the day you first acquire Vista. 

If you bought your computer pre-installed with Vista either from a computer store or an original equipment manufacturer (OEM) like Dell or Gateway, you’ll need to contact them for support.

Tuesday, May 15, 2007 2:34 AM