Cannot Import OFX File RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hi all,

In the past 3 days, I have been unable to import my bank's OFX file into its prospective Money file (Money 2004). I downloaded the appropriate OFX Analyzer, and the report said the file was indeed corrupted.

Here is what the report said...

*** All line number references do not include header lines ***
    ***OFX 1.02 Add ~10
    ***OFX 2.0 Add ~2
    Running Data Through Parser
    HRESULT       = 0
    Error Code    = 0

HRESULT       = -2147450873
    Error Code    = 226
    Severity      = X
    Type          = M
    Error Message = XMStart tag of document element omitted; not minimizable
    Other Info    = MNYSGMPB: SGML error at (null), line 1 at record start:
              XMStart tag of document element omitted; not minimizable

Can anyone explain to me what the above message means, and can I repair this myself with Note Pad?

For what it's worth, I have another Money file for a different bank, and I have no problems with their OFX downloads.

By the way, I am running XP Home with SP3.

Regards
    Sunday, September 11, 2011 8:57 PM

All replies

• It can probably be fixed in notepad.

I suggest you post from the start of the file thru </SIGNONMSGSRSV1> from the OFX file.

That should well before anything sensitive. The cure is probably going to be early in the file.

Sunday, September 11, 2011 9:41 PM
  • Here it is...

OFXHEADER:100
    DATA:OFXSGML
    VERSION:102
    SECURITY:NONE
    ENCODING:UTF-8
    CHARSET:1252
    COMPRESSION:NONE
    OLDFILEUID:NONE
    NEWFILEUID:NONE

<OFX><SIGNONMSGSRSV1>

Regards
    Sunday, September 11, 2011 9:51 PM
  • I see no error there.

I suggest that you add newline characters with notepad after <OFX>. What that will do for you is that "SGML error at (null), line 1" will turn to some higher line numbers to identify the spot that the analyzer knew it had an error. So with no newline characters in area following the <OFX>, the analyzer sees everything following <OFX> as part of line 1.

If you could replace every '<' character after the first with a newline followed by '<', that would do it.

newline represents the character inserted when you press the Enter key in Notepad.

Sunday, September 11, 2011 10:45 PM
  • You can also try Quicken OFX Formatter which will try to pretty-print the OFX file. See URL:

http://fi.intuit.com/ofximplementation/wcsteps/index.cfm?view=wcdevelop

Look for

OFX Formatter tool reads in an OFX file (including an ofxlog.txt file) and adds carriage returns, line feeds and tabs to make it more readable.

Then use the analyzer on the re-formatted ofx file. That might help the analyzer to report more relevant line number on error.

Monday, September 12, 2011 3:33 AM
  • Sorry, but the answer is a bit over my head.

Are you telling me to add a coma after the "<" character?

Regards
    Monday, September 12, 2011 3:56 AM
  • I was suggesting to make each '<' character to be the first character of a line.

Using the formatter that hleOfxQuotes suggested sounds like a better and easier way to do it.

Monday, September 12, 2011 4:00 AM
  • Well, lo and behold, I already had a program called MT20FX,

http://csmale.home.xs4all.nl/mt2ofx/en/index.htm

and I used it to open the corrupted OFX file. As soon as MT20FX did its thing, Money saw the corrected file and imported it.

I examined the converted file with Note Pad, and the data was rearranged into a tree of sorts (sort of like some XML data I've seen before). I doubt I could have typed the corrections on my own.

Any ideas as to why my OFX downloads are corrupted of late?

Regards
    Monday, September 12, 2011 4:48 AM
  • I think you are saying that the MT20FX program modified the OFX file from your bank to a form that Money accepted and you successfully got your transactions as a result.

I guess you could use the fc program with the /W switch to file compare the file you fed to MT20FX with the output of MT20FX. The \W says to ignore "whitespace". See where the files differed. If it is simple, you could modify with Notepad in the future. If not, I guess you could repeat what worked.

Monday, September 12, 2011 5:12 AM
  • hleOfxQuotes, I wanted to thank you for your response.

I will look into this software in time.

Regards
    Tuesday, September 13, 2011 2:11 AM
  • You can use Bank2OFX at http://www.bank2ofx.com
    Wednesday, September 21, 2011 1:28 PM
  • Bear with me, I have been rather busy of late to try the latest suggestions.

By the way, what happened to some of the latter posts?

Regards
    • Proposed as answer by xlrotor Thursday, September 19, 2019 2:24 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by xlrotor Thursday, September 19, 2019 2:24 PM
    Friday, September 23, 2011 12:46 AM
  • I use Money Sunset, and sometimes a downloaded OFX file fails to import.  "The file you attempted to import appears to be invalid or contains corrupt data......."

Open it in Notepad and check for NAME fields that contain an & and change those to &amp.  There may also be other special characters that need similar editing, and maybe other fields besides NAME.

Also check that MEMO fields are not before the FITID field.  If it is switch them.  In addition, NAME fields might need to be after FITID.

The OFX Analyzer would say something like this:

Error Message = XC%s element not allowed at this point in %s element
    Other Info    = MNYSGMPB: SGML error at (null), line 68 at ">":
              XCMEMO element not allowed at this point in STMTTRN element

Thursday, September 19, 2019 2:47 PM