MS Money 2007 - cannot open file with windows live ID RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I know I am late to the game but I have been trying to open my MS Money 2007 file for the last 2 days with no luck.  The last time I was in it was May 2011.  Since then I changed my live Id password.  I can log into MSN/Hotmail with my live ID and password but not my Money file.  I have tried checking the box that says, "I want to sign in to Money directly..." but it still wants a password.  I have also installed the Sunset version and still it wants an ID and password.  I would be most appreciative of any help.  thank you in advance.

James

Tuesday, August 23, 2011 4:52 AM

All replies

• Disconnect from the Internet.  Start Money, and log in offline.
    Remove your LiveID.  Do not attempt to change your LiveID.  If you
    already changed your LiveID, use the credentials that were in
    effect at the time that you saved that Money file.

To remove the Live ID, go to File-PasswordManager, and choose to
    remove your LiveID.  To remove or add a conventional password, also
    see File->PasswordManager.

Tuesday, August 23, 2011 1:42 PM
  • Hi Cal,

Thank you very much for the reply.

I have tried this... disconnecting from the internet, restarting MS Money.  It prompts me for my user name and password.  It then says my email or password is incorrect.  I know both are correct since I can log into MSN and Hotmail with the same username and password.

James

james
    Tuesday, August 23, 2011 3:51 PM
  • Do not use the current name and password. Instead use the credentials in effect at the time the particular *.mny file was saved when you log in offline.

You could also try restoring your newest or second-newest *.mbf to do a restore. Use the  credentials in effect at the time the backup was made.  Do not restore using the saved filename, but instead Browse to your Documents folder, and choose a new filename.

Tuesday, August 23, 2011 4:00 PM
  • I did try that as well but will try again when I get home.  Thank you so much again for you help.
    james
    Tuesday, August 23, 2011 4:07 PM
  • Here is another thing to try. After you disconnect from the Internet, set the date on the computer back to an earlier date such as 2011-1-1 or even earlier. It helped one person who posted in the past, but I don't remember what version of Money that pers on was using.

Another thing to try would be install Sunset onto a different machine (again, disconnected from the internet) to see if that would somehow work better than your Money 2007 install for this. If it works, install Sunset onto your regular computer.

Remove the LiveID once you get into the file.

Tuesday, August 23, 2011 4:18 PM
  • Hi Cal,

No luck on any of these... when I try to log into the sunset version it says I need to go online and sign in.  It looks like I am screwed.  Thank you for all the help.  Also, there is a product advertised as Password Recovery 5.0  Do you think that would help me?

James

james
    Wednesday, August 24, 2011 6:34 AM
  • See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/324001 and http://support.microsoft.com/kb/894020.

These are the source for the advice Cal has given you, and may offer a few extra things to try.

Wednesday, August 24, 2011 11:57 AM
  • Hi Cal,

No luck on any of these... when I try to log into the sunset version it says I need to go online and sign in.  It looks like I am screwed.  Thank you for all the help.  Also, there is a product advertised as Password Recovery 5.0  Do you think that would help me?

James

james

While disconnected from the internet, look carefully for a choice to log in offline when you try to open your file. If there is wording that you must go online, what is the actual wording?

After doing further searching, I see that http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_xp-windows_programs/ms-money-2007-on-win-xp-will-not-let-me-connect/485d66e7-afd2-46d4-9f0a-36328c621230 includes the wording that I am suggesting you look for as you start Money while disconnected from the internet: Click the checkbox below the password field for "I want to sign in to Money directly, without access to all online services." then click the Next > button.

Regarding the "password recovery" software, if it could crack Money 2007 or Money Plus (what sunset is) LiveIDs, I would think the offerings would claim to do so. There were "Password Recovery" programs that would work on older conventional passwords, but I don't remember any forum or newsgroup poster saying it had worked on his Money Passport or Live ID.

Also, I would be concerned that some website might make claims just to get you to install some malicious software. While I was doing searching, I ran across one where a website had this wording added by the website: "McAfee SiteAdvisor warning
    This software is probably infected with viruses. Visiting the developer's website may cause damage to your computer. Click here to see McAfee SiteAdvisor report." That was in the midst of a very positive review! If you do experiment with such things, I would consider doing it within a virtual machine that I would then delete after experiments. Alternatively, install Windows on a freshly formatted hard drive. Do your experiment, and then format the hard drive after you either learn the password or fail. This would be to prevent your data from leaking out or to prevent your machine running with a worm that could be installed with dodgy software.

Wednesday, August 24, 2011 2:28 PM