FTP Backup RRS feed

• Question

•  

I am trying to set my backup to my ftp site. I receive a logon but it will not except my username password. I know they are correcct and I also mapped the ftp. Do you have any help you can offer with this?
    Wednesday, July 9, 2008 3:14 PM

Answers

• OneCare cannot back up to an ftp server. It can backup to a network Share, however. I don't know what you mean by "mapped the ftp" as an ftp server uses ftp to transfer files, which OneCare cannot do. The location would need to be a Share and must exist on your local LAN.

-steve

Wednesday, July 9, 2008 3:24 PM

All replies

• OneCare cannot back up to an ftp server. It can backup to a network Share, however. I don't know what you mean by "mapped the ftp" as an ftp server uses ftp to transfer files, which OneCare cannot do. The location would need to be a Share and must exist on your local LAN.

-steve

Wednesday, July 9, 2008 3:24 PM
  • Why CANT One Care deal with a ftp url to backup to?

Explorer can browse to my ftp site, Why can't One Care deal with this? ftp://mysite.com

It makes a LOT of sense to fix this.. what is the alias of the One Care PM?  I want to email them...

Wednesday, September 10, 2008 10:54 AM
  • Select Windows Live OneCare at http://feedback.live.com to submit feedback to the team.

To answer your specific question, OneCare can't deal with this because it wasn't programmed to allow a backup to that type of destination. Just because Windows Explorer and Internet Explorer can deal with ftp:// doesn't mean that all Windows programs can use those destinations. There's much more to the location that simply the address such as the protocol by which the data is copied and the security for that connection. Additionally, there are many different types of ftp servers and ways to configure them.

-steve

Wednesday, September 10, 2008 1:50 PM
  • I know there are reasons they have not done it yet.  But to make the product robost it would be a outstanding feature.

Wednesday, September 10, 2008 11:06 PM