Any Details on HP's MediaSmart Server??? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there!

Are there already any details out about technical specs on the HP MediSmart Server? I found a kind of tech spec. on the Internet:

http://www.hp.com/hpinfo/newsroom/press_kits/2007/ces/ds_de_mediasmartserver.pdf

Will this "Thing" have a Monitor connector, DVD drive?,.. what about restoring the Server after the System HDD has failed,..

I would be glad on any details that somebody could provide!

Thanks in advance.

Bernd

Saturday, February 24, 2007 3:03 PM

Answers

• from what ive read, the machine will be completely headless, ie a ethernet port and power socket. thats it.!

it might have a dvd drive for restoration and software but im not sure

Barty
    Saturday, February 24, 2007 3:14 PM

All replies

• from what ive read, the machine will be completely headless, ie a ethernet port and power socket. thats it.!

it might have a dvd drive for restoration and software but im not sure

Barty
    Saturday, February 24, 2007 3:14 PM
  • Now, that's when the shi* hits the Fan. Even if you have a DVD drive to load the installation Medium or whatever. How do you run the Setup process? Terminal Session isn't possible during the Setup process.

Bernd

Saturday, February 24, 2007 4:02 PM
  • perhaps it will be done using unattended installation, ie
    the setup needs no user interaction and because its on standard hardware, it doesnt have driver and hardware issues.

just an idea! hopefully someone knows better exactly how this will work

Barty
    Saturday, February 24, 2007 9:41 PM
  • The size of the unit at 5.5”(W) x 9.8”(H) x 9.2”(D)  (14 cm x 25 cm  x 23 cm ) seems very small as it can hold 4 drives with psu and procssing board. I'd have concerns regarding cooling with 4 drives in such a small box.

I'm looking at building a WHS unit from scratch and lots of the micro ATX system boxes (bigger than than HP unit) seem to have less than adequate cooling if you have 4 drives.

Sunday, February 25, 2007 12:52 PM
  • Wouldn't most of drives be in stopped because the low usage that you have at home?

If you have more frequent usage, like a media device streaming music or video, then maybe would be best to keep all music and video in a single disk to minimize number of disks active.

Monday, February 26, 2007 4:34 PM
  •  BerndWalter wrote:

Now, that's when the shi* hits the Fan. Even if you have a DVD drive to load the installation Medium or whatever. How do you run the Setup process? Terminal Session isn't possible during the Setup process.

Bernd

I think the installation can actually be done without every touching a keyboard or mouse, since it bring up most sections for five seconds or so, and then auto-continues, but I don't know how you'd choose between a new install and repair. Hmm... I suppose they'd have two discs: one with install switches, and one with repair switches.
    Monday, February 26, 2007 4:59 PM
  •  Janssen Jones wrote:
    Hmm... I suppose they'd have two discs: one with install switches, and one with repair switches.
    More likely a single disk that detects there's WHS configuration information out there on a connected storage device.
    Monday, February 26, 2007 5:45 PM
  • I'd have thought that if a number of users are reading and writing the chances are that the disks would be active pretty constantly and not have time to spin down. If duplication of folders is enabled then that would be at least two disks active possibly even more if you have a number of users with data distributed over more than two disks. afaik it is not possible to dictate on which physical disk data / folders are located.
    Monday, February 26, 2007 5:59 PM