none
NEW USER!!! RRS feed

• Question

• helllo, .....i'm a new user to this forum and boy..u guys have a lot of goood information on this...definately very helpful....i have few questions for u guys plz help since i'm new to WHS....i just purchased HP Mediasmart server..it came with 500GB hdd..what can i maximize the HDD space to?...IS it MAC friendly? i need it to stream alot of music and video from it....
    thank you
    Friday, February 22, 2008 4:31 PM

All replies

• Here's your server homepage:

http://h71036.www7.hp.com/hho/cache/447351-0-0-225-121.html

Says you can expand up to 6 TB using 750 GB drives. (scroll down on that page)  So that would put you at a total of 8 hard drives.  I would guess (but I'm not sure if there is some sort of limitation) that you could put 1 TB drives in, for 8 TB available space.

I know nothing of Macs, sorry.

Welcome to the forums, congrats on the server.

-Matt

Saturday, February 23, 2008 5:55 AM
  • You won't be able to install the Connector software directly onto the Mac, but there is no reason why a Mac would not be able to interact with the server shares.
    Saturday, February 23, 2008 5:20 PM
  • A Mac can access the server shares (they're standard SMB shares), and if you store your iTunes music on the server, the built-in copy of Firefly will stream tunes through your house.

You won't be able to install the connector, so you won't be able to take advantage of the backup tool that's built in to it, or the iTunes aggregator that HP supplies.
    Saturday, February 23, 2008 9:01 PM