Can i use live mesh to sync via bluetooth? RRS feed

• Question

• hi!

I apologize if this has been asked/answered elsewhere. I've been having trouble finding an answer to this.

I've happily set up & use Live mesh on my desktop & laptop to sync folders. I'm wondering if I can use live mesh to sync files/folders on my ppc (specifically SD card..not main memory) via bluetooth..instead than wifi.

I frequently connect my ppc to my laptop via bluetooth & windows mobile device center to sync outlook info (contacts/tasks...etc.). WMDC appears to allow file/folder syncing but only to the main memory (not SD card).

I rarely connect my ppc to the internet & rather hope that i can sync files on the SD card at the same time I am connected & syncing outlook info via bluetooth by using Live mesh.

Please let me know. Otherwise, it looks like i will have to find a different syncing method/program to accomplish this.

Thanks!
    Tuesday, June 9, 2009 9:53 PM

Answers

• Files that are synced to Live Mesh are stored "in the cloud," that is they are stored online.  So syncing to Live Mesh cannot be done unless you go online with your device.  Unfortunately, Live Mesh does not facilitate syncing a mobile device to a local computer.

I don't know if Easy Sync will sync via Bluetooth connection, but you might want to check it out.
    Prof Julie, Microsoft MVP Mobile Devices | http://pocketprimer.com
    Wednesday, June 10, 2009 1:15 AM
  • No, not via Bluetooth.

If you install Live Mesh on your PC and also on your supported mobile device, you can sync files and folders between the PC, your Live Desktop and the mobile device. It will happen via your data connection on the device - the Live Mesh mobile client will use your cellular connection (or WiFi) to sync these files/folders. It cannot use Bluetooth to do so.

It will not sync your Outlook data - contacts, calendar, emails, tasks, etc.

You should also be able to use the Windows Mobile Device Center to sync the data on the storage card with your PC - without the need for Live Mesh.

-steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare & Live Mesh Forum Moderator
    Wednesday, June 10, 2009 4:28 PM

All replies

• Files that are synced to Live Mesh are stored "in the cloud," that is they are stored online.  So syncing to Live Mesh cannot be done unless you go online with your device.  Unfortunately, Live Mesh does not facilitate syncing a mobile device to a local computer.

I don't know if Easy Sync will sync via Bluetooth connection, but you might want to check it out.
    Prof Julie, Microsoft MVP Mobile Devices | http://pocketprimer.com
    Wednesday, June 10, 2009 1:15 AM
  • Ok thanks. That's what i was thinking, but I thought maybe it was possible to use live mesh locally ppc direct to laptop. I will check out easy sync, although i was hoping for a free solution.

I know there are a few free sync programs out there as well, so i'll see if it suits my needs. thanks!
    Wednesday, June 10, 2009 2:22 AM
  • No, not via Bluetooth.

If you install Live Mesh on your PC and also on your supported mobile device, you can sync files and folders between the PC, your Live Desktop and the mobile device. It will happen via your data connection on the device - the Live Mesh mobile client will use your cellular connection (or WiFi) to sync these files/folders. It cannot use Bluetooth to do so.

It will not sync your Outlook data - contacts, calendar, emails, tasks, etc.

You should also be able to use the Windows Mobile Device Center to sync the data on the storage card with your PC - without the need for Live Mesh.

-steve
    Wednesday, June 10, 2009 4:28 PM
  • What if you sync Live Mesh Mobile by using a pass-through Internet connection in WMDC?
    Friday, June 12, 2009 3:42 AM
  • xpxp2002 said "What if you sync Live Mesh Mobile by using a pass-through Internet connection in WMDC?"

This thread is misbehaving, so I can't answer normally by quoting (bug in the forum software apparently)

I suppose that this could work, meaning that you would connect the device to the PC using Windows Mobile Device Center via Bluetooth. Sync takes place for Outlook data and then kick Live Mesh off to use the shared Internet connection through the WMDC connection. It seems like a Rube Goldberg solution, but might be worth a try.
    -steve
    Friday, June 12, 2009 12:46 PM
  • I suppose that's how my mind works. haha
    But I'm just thinking that if you own a device without Wi-Fi (like my Q9h), but don't have unlimited data through your wireless provider (I do, but still hypothetically speaking) that this would be a way to keep data synchronized between more than one PC and a mobile phone without having to separately sync each one with ActiveSync/WMDC.
    Friday, June 12, 2009 12:59 PM