Need to restore from backup . Hard disk corrupt. RRS feed

• Question

• my hard disk succumbed to a lightening storm.  The damage was to an operating system component.  I cannot F8 my way in. I have a onecare external drive backup.  Is there any way for me to use that external drive to load a Windows XP kernel?
    Sunday, June 22, 2008 1:43 AM

Answers

• It can be done if booting from a USB device is supported in your BIOS and you list the  USB drive higher than the internal drive in the boot devices order but I would advise against this configuration even if it is supported. SB data transfer rates are slow compared to IDE or SATA connectors. It would be best to wait and replace your internal drive when you are able.

Sunday, June 22, 2008 2:04 AM

All replies

• It can be done if booting from a USB device is supported in your BIOS and you list the  USB drive higher than the internal drive in the boot devices order but I would advise against this configuration even if it is supported. SB data transfer rates are slow compared to IDE or SATA connectors. It would be best to wait and replace your internal drive when you are able.

Sunday, June 22, 2008 2:04 AM
  • Note also that your OneCare backup contains data only. Once you have replaced the hard drive that failed, you would need to install Windows and your other programs, including OneCare, then restore your data from the OneCare backup.

-steve

Monday, June 23, 2008 6:40 PM