Minimum Hard drve size RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I want to install WHS on an Old Dell Dimension 8100 P4 512MB with 40 GB HDD- I would install another 40-80GB drive after install. Does anyone know if this will be ok? Msft site says minimum is 70GB. However I'd rather install the other drive after.

Btw- I intend to download the trial version to my laptop, burn to dvd and then load onto the Dell (hope this too is ok).

Thanks in advance,
    Greg
    Saturday, September 5, 2009 9:14 PM

All replies

• Hi All,

I want to install WHS on an Old Dell Dimension 8100 P4 512MB with 40 GB HDD- I would install another 40-80GB drive after install. Does anyone know if this will be ok? Msft site says minimum is 70GB. However I'd rather install the other drive after.

No, 40 GB is too small.  WHS checks the drive size and if it's too small, it won't install.

Btw- I intend to download the trial version to my laptop, burn to dvd and then load onto the Dell (hope this too is ok).

Sure, you can download and burn the iso from whatever you want.

Thanks in advance,
    Greg

Saturday, September 5, 2009 11:06 PM
  • 65 GByte is the minimum according to the WHS setup program, but due to different methods of enumerating the size of disks for marketing purposes you are on the safe side with 70 GB or more.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Sunday, September 6, 2009 11:55 AM