HPC machines added to Windows local Administrator group? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We are in the process of cleaning up the permissions on the machine and noticed that as part of the HPC setup, it seems to add the head machines to the local administrators on the worker machines.  I just wanted to confirm that that access was necessary (i.e. I shouldn't remove those from the local administator group) and if you could provide any information on why it is necessary.

Thanks!

-Jason Lee

Thursday, November 5, 2015 6:23 PM

Answers

• Which version of HPC Pack are you using?

You need remove this account from the cluster manager --> todo list --> Users; as the HPC admin and users are managed and sync to worker nodes by our management service (Except for the unmanaged server and workstation node).

Qiufang Shi

Friday, November 6, 2015 2:23 AM

All replies

You need remove this account from the cluster manager --> todo list --> Users; as the HPC admin and users are managed and sync to worker nodes by our management service (Except for the unmanaged server and workstation node).

Qiufang Shi

Friday, November 6, 2015 2:23 AM

Qiufang Shi

Hi Qiufang, we are on the latest, 2012R2 (?)

I dont think I understand exactly understand what you're saying here.  Are you saying I can safely remove the machine as an Administator within the Users section?  What is the purpose of that being there in the first place?  I just want to make sure that we can remove the head machine from the users list as an Administator and expect things to function properly still.

Tuesday, November 10, 2015 7:18 PM
  • Hi Jason,

The head node machine account is required to be in the HPC administrators group because all HPC services are running under this account which requires the admin access on the worker nodes. Please keep this account in.

BR,

Yutong Sun

Wednesday, November 11, 2015 8:43 AM