File conflicts in all folders RRS feed

• Question

• WHS is reporting that every single shared folder has multiple file conflicts. Error messages include "Access is denied" and "The system cannot find the device specified." All drives (four internal, one external) are being reported as healthy by WHS.

I'm fairly certain that the external drive is the problem, but I can't remove it through the console (it complains about a folder in the Public share). Looking at the FAQ, I am running the command for  /d  %1  in  (c:\fs\*)  do  chkdsk  /x  /r  %1 on the server. It is taking a long time, but it seems to be doing something.

Am I doing the right thing here? What else should I be doing?

Edit: If it helps, I can still access the files that are marked as "The system cannot find the device specified" but not the "Access is denied" ones.
    Sunday, September 20, 2009 8:19 PM

Answers

• WHS is reporting that every single shared folder has multiple file conflicts. Error messages include "Access is denied" and "The system cannot find the device specified." All drives (four internal, one external) are being reported as healthy by WHS.

I'm fairly certain that the external drive is the problem, but I can't remove it through the console (it complains about a folder in the Public share). Looking at the FAQ, I am running the command for  /d  %1  in  (c:\fs\*)  do  chkdsk  /x  /r  %1 on the server. It is taking a long time, but it seems to be doing something.

Edit: If it helps, I can still access the files that are marked as "The system cannot find the device specified" but not the "Access is denied" ones.

The best thing to do at this point is wait for the chkdsk /r to finish.  If you are correct about a failing hard drive (which you probably are), try removing the drive one more time through the Console.  If you still can't do that, power down the server, disconnect the failing drive, then power the server back up.
    • Marked as answer by Will Diaz Monday, September 21, 2009 6:22 PM
    Sunday, September 20, 2009 9:42 PM
  • In a home built server, you can install the Disk Management add-in, which will allow you to create a server wireframe to help you figure out which disk is which. But at the moment, once you've removed the drive in the console, just shut your server down and disconnect a drive. If it's not the right one, reconnect it and disconnect another. No harm will be done.

Yes, this is a rather awkward and unfriendly process. All I can say is that Windows Home Server is most definitely not designed to be installed by end users on their own hardware. Requirements for OEM servers include those pretty drive lights that the HP and Acer units have, just to allow easy drive identification.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, September 21, 2009 6:17 PM

All replies

The best thing to do at this point is wait for the chkdsk /r to finish.  If you are correct about a failing hard drive (which you probably are), try removing the drive one more time through the Console.  If you still can't do that, power down the server, disconnect the failing drive, then power the server back up.
    Sunday, September 20, 2009 9:42 PM
  • I'm about halfway through the process now, and one of the 640GB hard drives shows that it has 20kb in bad sectors. If a drive is failing, that would be the one. But how do I know which one it is? I have three identical 640GB drives in there.

Edit: it doesn't appear to be the external, which is only a 500GB drive.
    Monday, September 21, 2009 12:39 AM
  • In a home built server, you can install the Disk Management add-in, which will allow you to create a server wireframe to help you figure out which disk is which. But at the moment, once you've removed the drive in the console, just shut your server down and disconnect a drive. If it's not the right one, reconnect it and disconnect another. No harm will be done.

Yes, this is a rather awkward and unfriendly process. All I can say is that Windows Home Server is most definitely not designed to be installed by end users on their own hardware. Requirements for OEM servers include those pretty drive lights that the HP and Acer units have, just to allow easy drive identification.

Monday, September 21, 2009 6:17 PM
  • I have an EX470, so I'll have to go with the awkward option. While it is a bit unfriendly and time-consuming, the job will get done. How concerned should I be about 20KB of bad sectors?
    Monday, September 21, 2009 6:21 PM
  • With the EX470, if you can remove it in the console the server will identify the disk with a change in color of the drive light.

20 KB of bad sectors isn't a huge number. The question is what's on them.

Monday, September 21, 2009 6:24 PM
  • To make sure I've got this right:

One of my three 640GB hard drives (c:\fs\1a) has 20 KB of bad sectors. I have no idea which of the three HDDs is (c:\fs\1a). I have to remove them from the console, one at a time. After each removal, I have to remote into the server and see if (c:\fs\1a) is missing. If it is, then I know I've got the right one.
    Monday, September 21, 2009 6:46 PM
  • I believe if you go through "Computer Management", it should show exactly which Disk # is mounted as \fs\1a
    Then you can match that to the order of the disk controllers (I expect Disk 0-3 probably matches directly to the disk trays 1-4)
    Tuesday, September 22, 2009 4:52 AM
  • No. I would shut your server down, then disconnect a drive (other than the system drive). Start it up and see if that mount point is now empty. If it is, the console will show the corresponding drive as "missing". Reconnect the drive, boot your server again, and remove that drive using the console. If removing the drive fails (possible, depending on the hardware issue), you can disconnect the drive again, then remove the missing drive using the console. In that case, Windows Home Server will warn you about potential data loss. You'll probably have to proceed, then connect the drive to some other computer and attempt recovery of files yourself. They will be in the (hidden) folder <driveletter>:\DE\Shares\etc...
    Tuesday, September 22, 2009 5:28 PM