none
Synctoy folder pair manipulation question RRS feed

• Question

•  

We have Synctoy 1.4 deployed on about 100 laptops and need to make a folder pairs 
    change.

Is it possible to create a folder pair that contains system variables such 
    as %username%?  

Also, are there any utilities to edit the ...\SyncToyData\SyncToyDirPairs.bin file?

Lastly, are there any command line arguements that allow folder pair specification?

If we could manipulate the folders pairs, that would be GOLDEN!!
    Any help/advise is much appreciated!
    Doug
    Friday, July 11, 2008 9:07 PM

All replies

•  

Hello,

There is nothing wrong with creating additional Folder Pairs. Would it be acceptable to have a Folder Pair for every UserName?

Unfortunately there is no processing of the Folder Pair name, no way that it can convert %username% into MyName.

There are no utilities to edit the Folder Pair definition files.

But the good news is that SyncToy 2.0 Beta does have a command line utility which allows Folder Pair specification.

I recommend upgrading to 2.0!

thanks,

Willie

Friday, July 11, 2008 10:10 PM
  • Yes, having a generic folder pair for every username is what I'm trying to accomplish (e.g. c:\folder1).  The problem is that I want to avoid breaking another folder pair that I have already setup on each laptop to backup the user's My Documents to a thumb drive that I've given them.  This folder is specific to each user due to the profile (and changes from user to user because of the username).

So, currently I have a folder pair on each laptop (80 total) to backup My Documents to a thumb drive (eSmile.  I want to add a generic folder pair to avoid profile issues but I don't want to loose the My Documents pair in the process.  And, I don't want to have to touch each machine again!!

Any ideas folks?

Monday, July 14, 2008 1:34 PM
  • Here is a potential solution...

create a script file that you put in a public folder, then send the link out in an email. when users run this script it will add the common Folder Pair to their existing list of Folder Pairs so that they don't lose anything:

"%ProgramFiles%\SyncToy 2.0 Beta\synctoy.exe" -d(left=%USERPROFILE%,right=F:\DOCS,name=CommonFolderPair,operation=synchronize)

where F: is assuming the letter of the thumb drive, and DOCS is just a folder name I made up.

Monday, July 14, 2008 11:25 PM
  • Willie,

Good suggestion but note that I'm running version 1.4. 

The only way that I can see to do it is to be able to manipulate the *.bin file where the folder pair definitions are stored.  The problem is that I don't know the file/record layout of the file.

Does anybody know this information?

Doug

Tuesday, July 15, 2008 12:22 PM
  • it's safe to say that no one knows the file layout since it is unique and proprietary to SyncToy 1.4.

for the sake of conversation, is upgrading to 2.0 within the realm of possibility?
    Thursday, July 17, 2008 4:21 PM
  • No, we can't update for a couple reasons.

We have several mission critical MSDE based applications already loaded and can't take the gamble to break them by adding another MSDE app. to the mix.  Also, and just as important, I have no way to push version 2.0 out to our laptops (much less remove version 1.4).

I have the means to automatically modify version 1.4 if I could just figure out how to do it.

Doug

Wednesday, July 23, 2008 9:19 PM