Files that are backup that I later delete and no longer want on backup RRS feed

• Question

• If I delete files do they automatically get remved from the backup archive?

I looked  through all the on-line help and did not see the answered.

Friday, July 13, 2007 8:11 PM

Answers

• Hello Arthur,

I would say no, because when you backup and the external hard drive fills up and you have to delete the backups and start over again, means it never deletes the previous files.

Eric

Friday, July 13, 2007 8:46 PM

All replies

• Hello Arthur,

I would say no, because when you backup and the external hard drive fills up and you have to delete the backups and start over again, means it never deletes the previous files.

Eric

Friday, July 13, 2007 8:46 PM
  • I've wondered the same because I backup using CD/DVD Roms and when I delete files from my system that have been saved on CD/DVD backup Roms, my question was whether WOC would write over these obsolete files when a new Express backup is performed.  I'd like to believe that during the backup process WOC is capable of seeing this change and utilizing the space for new materials rather than wasting it.  And, should I select to restore these files, I'd rather not have to remove the obsolete versions again.

So, is this a true story re: backup capabilities?

Friday, July 13, 2007 9:03 PM
  • I have always tought that the point of a backup was to restore your drives/documents as they were when you back them up. Meaning that in no cases it should be able to go to one set of backup and remove the files that were backed up at that time but that you removed later on on your computer.

Of course, when your document is deleted from your hard drive it will not take any room to back up on the new backup sets, but it should still be there somewhere on a previous backup set.

Also, if you restore the files it all depends on what backup set you want to restore, if you do restore a set where the document you destroyed was still on the computer at the time of the backup, then you should have it restored. If however you choose to restore a backup set that was made after the document was destroyed, then this document should not be restored.

Of course, I may be wrong but that is my understanding.

Sunday, July 15, 2007 2:53 PM
  • Eric is correct in that the backups never delete older files from within the backup sets. You do not have the ability to select what verson of a file you want to restore, though, as the only backup catalog available to you is the latest. To retain multiple backup sets with only the current file set, without loss of the older file set in case you want to recover from that older catalog, you would need to run a new full backup each time rather than an incremental backup.

Recovery from the current catalog means that you have a complete picture of the state of your files at the time of backup and can restore from that catalog. Incremental backups update the new and changed files in the backup set and updates the catalog.

-steve

Sunday, July 15, 2007 5:56 PM