Windows Home Server 2008 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello everyone!

I've just a Question about WHS 2008 ...

I want installing a Programm on WHS 2008 and this Programm require SQL- Sever (It's not important which one of SQL-Server!). is it possible to installing SQL-Server on WHS 2008?(It will work and runing on this OS?)

Thanks alot about your answers

Ramos from Germany
    Sunday, March 22, 2009 8:51 PM

All replies

• Windows_for_ever said:

Hello everyone!

I've just a Question about WHS 2008 ...

FYI, there is no such as thing as "WHS 2008".  There is only Windows Home Server (which is code written on top of Windows Server 2003).

Windows_for_ever said:

I want installing a Programm on WHS 2008 and this Programm require SQL- Sever (It's not important which one of SQL-Server!). is it possible to installing SQL-Server on WHS 2008?(It will work and runing on this OS?)

Is it possible?  Yes.  Is it supported?  No.  Installing any application on WHS that requires server desktop access is unsupported.  If you really want to install SQL, you should go with a standard server OS (2003/2008).

Windows_for_ever said:

Thanks alot about your answers

Ramos from Germany

Sunday, March 22, 2009 8:58 PM
  • Thanks alot for your quick answer and best regards!

my best friend is a doctor and he will have a server in his Practice, but a server 2003 or 2008 is very expensive for him and he has not a big network in his Practice with many personal etc.. i've said to him there is Windows Home Server to Save and protect your data and use them with Remotedesktop from anywhere!

do you think is it good for him?
    Sunday, March 22, 2009 9:08 PM
  • Windows_for_ever said:

Thanks alot for your quick answer and best regards!

my best friend is a doctor and he will have a server in his Practice, but a server 2003 or 2008 is very expensive for him and he has not a big network in his Practice with many personal etc.. i've said to him there is Windows Home Server to Save and protect your data and use them with Remotedesktop from anywhere!

Remote Desktop is only available for the following OSes:  XP Pro, XP MCE 2005, Vista Business, Vista Ultimate and Vista Enterprise.  If the computer he wants to connect to isn't one of those, he won't be able to connect remotely to that PC.

Windows_for_ever said:

do you think is it good for him?

WHS is really not designed for business use.  It's designed to be used in the home (i.e. Media Streaming).  Having said that, I know that some small businesses do in fact use it.  My suggestion would be to compare WHS to SBS 2008 and see which one is a better fit for your needs.
    Sunday, March 22, 2009 9:26 PM