Live OneCare Installation Problems - New Subscription 03/09 states No Longer Active RRS feed

• Question

• OneCare operating fine since purchase of 03/09.  Attempts to install on new laptop unsuccessful.  Follow prompted suggestions finally choosing to do the clean tool procedures.  Unable to Finish Setup on main pc; login to Windows Live and it states the Live ID is not associated with a OneCare subscription.  Click Next to enter product key.  Confirm US Market and select Activate Token since retail purchase.  Enter Prepaid Prod Key info click continue.  Prompts w/Prod Key already in use.  I cannot get past this.  I tried to submit a support request but it wants the product number.  I access OneCare Help/About and it states 'Your Subscription is no longer valid.'  I cannot advance.  I had Trend Micro on new laptop uninstalled by Dell tech in order to load OneCare.  Now all of my systems are unprotected. 

Friday, June 12, 2009 3:02 AM

Answers

All replies

• OneCare operating fine since purchase of 03/09.  Attempts to install on new laptop unsuccessful.  Follow prompted suggestions finally choosing to do the clean tool procedures.  Unable to Finish Setup on main pc; login to Windows Live and it states the Live ID is not associated with a OneCare subscription.  Click Next to enter product key.  Confirm US Market and select Activate Token since retail purchase.  Enter Prepaid Prod Key info click continue.  Prompts w/Prod Key already in use.  I cannot get past this.  I tried to submit a support request but it wants the product number.  I access OneCare Help/About and it states 'Your Subscription is no longer valid.'  I cannot advance.  I had Trend Micro on new laptop uninstalled by Dell tech in order to load OneCare.  Now all of my systems are unprotected. 

I think Live ID is wrong. Please carefully recall the correct Live ID with paid subscription.
    Friday, June 12, 2009 8:28 AM
  •  

If you have an active subscription, which is what was created when you activated on the first computer, you need to use the same LiveID on the subsequent activations. You can't use the same key twice. If you are arriving at a screen to purchase or provide a token, you are likely not using the same LiveID as the subscription ID.

On the first PC, open OneCare and click Help and then About to see your Subscription ID. That is the LiveID to sign in with.

If you don't have OneCare activated on any PCs, that won't help, of course.

If you don't recall the LiveID you used for your subscription, you will need to contact support who can provide that information to you using your Key and/or contact information.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/30400b52-7f26-4ba0-bc18-17e305329d90 - the product ID that the process asks for is not the key, but an internal code identifying OneCare and version. Follow the support instructions to request support as a trial user and select on Other PC if need be.

Alternatively, sign in at http://billing.microsoft.com with email addresses that you have set up as LiveIDs and one will show your subscription listed - that would the LiveID to use to activate with.

If the activation dialog already contains a LiveID from a prior attempt or one used in trial mode, but this is not the one you need to activate with to associate it with your subscription, see this post for how to reset this - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/f5ce50e4-9165-40a5-891b-fe5d0659738b

For more information see Instant Help - http://help.live.com/help.aspx?project=onecarev2&mkt=en-us&querytype=topic&query=OneCare_PROC_FindLiveIDHelp.htm

-steve

Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare & Live Mesh Forum Moderator
    Friday, June 12, 2009 12:09 PM
  • I am unaware of any other windows live ID that I would have used.  I appreciate all of the detail/info you provided.  Have printed and will step through - hopefully to success!
    Friday, June 12, 2009 3:13 PM
  • Good luck to you. If you run into problems reaching support, post back and we'll get you hooked up. -steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare & Live Mesh Forum Moderator
    Friday, June 12, 2009 3:44 PM