Backing up the user shares on whs RRS feed

• Question

• I just installed a tapestreamer in my homeserver and set it to backup folders like photos and users.

It wen pretty well but in the user folders i had some problems. I am able to backup everything in folders under each user, but not any single files that is placed at "root" of the users share.

example:

users/john/documents/*.*   i can backup the documents folder and everything in it.

users/john/file.txt      i get access denied on all files that are placed directly in the users folder.

It is the same for all users and for all file types. I have checked ntfs permission changed owners removed files and placed them back...  i am not able to figure out what is causing it.

Symantec backup exec says access denied, and file in use. the account used for backup is able to browse the files open them and delete them without any problems.

Does anyone have any idea whats causing this?

The user folders would be my most important backup besides the photos.

Fredrik

Thursday, September 16, 2010 4:33 PM

All replies

• The only backup supported for Windows Home Server is the backup built into the console. Using tape and third party backup tools may not get you the contents of your files.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, September 17, 2010 12:38 AM
  • well im aware that my server, a HP dual xenon with 10GB ram, and scsi disks in hardware raid is not the standard home server setup.

That doesnt mean it wont work. Im actually super pleased with it. and havent had any problems with it, and i have been using it since early beta. 

-i was just wondering if anyone would have any idea what could cause such a weird permissions problem. Im not complaining, i know the ultrium tapestreamer is not a supported backup method for the home server, i m just asking for ideas.

I can of course backup the network shares from a separate computer on the network. So the problem here is that the backup program tried to access the filesystem instead of the "shares".

Sollution for now is to run a separate external backup job that copies everything important out from the server.  and then use the tapestreamer to backup from that location instead;) Then i can bring my tape to work, and tapes from work home...   very safe

Friday, September 17, 2010 9:22 PM