none
These forums should NOT be the Default place one ends up at RRS feed

• General discussion

• Until the proper stuctures are in place to support the old forum content this is NOT the place one should end up by clicking on Forums.
    It might look great but there is less than 0 content here.

Before this gets close to being the default you need to have al least some of the forums even if you abandon the content from the old site.

I am more than a little frustrated by what appears to me to be an abandoning of the old forum content good and bad alike.  I personally spent hours helping people on that old site and I think it is a slap in the face to have my help abandoned in a graveyard forum that "might be ported over some time this year" and to have my contribution set to 0.

If you are going to abandon the old content why not just close these forums altegther as it appears plain to me how much you value the contributions that members make.
    Thursday, May 22, 2008 8:49 PM

All replies

• Appreciate the feedback. We're definitely not abandoning all the great content on the old platform. More details in an annoucement I just posted. It's going to take some time to get everything brought over (months), but we are moving to make it happen as quickly as possible. 

What link to forums did you click that took you here?

Also, we're making sure all points migrate from the old platform. They'll come over on a per forum basis, but as the forums move all the points you've accumulated will come with you.

-Andrew

Forums Product Planner, Andrew.Brenner at Microsoft.com
    Thursday, May 22, 2008 11:25 PM
  • Thanks for the reply.  I'm relieved that the old content will not be abandoned.

From the main MSDN site (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/default.aspx)
    If you go down to the "Get Involved" section and click on "MSDN Forums" you come here.

If you are lucky, the rotating list of "Featurured forums" does point back to the old content.  If you don't see your favorite forum featured or even worse you see the list of top contributors then there is no way to reach the old forums.

I understand that there is a catch 22 on what "MSDN Forums" should link to while the content is being migrated.  It seems to me though as there is nothing but a test forum here that this is not (currently) the right place to point to.

As you migrate the content I think you really need two links.  One to the old forum and one to the new.

I personal vote would be to replace the "Code Gallery" section with a section highlighting (and linking to) the old forums and a brief explaination of where you are in the migration process.
    Friday, May 23, 2008 2:25 PM
  • The forums link has been updated. (I also made a similar change to the TechNet forums link.) Thanks for the suggestion.
    Friday, May 23, 2008 7:47 PM