New motherboard = vss failure? Can't backup PC any more. RRS feed

• Question

• Had to replace the motherboard on my PC (XP Home).  Then had to do a "windows repair" install since XP wouldn't run....  Which then required a few days of downloading and installing security patches....  Also installed new drivers for new motherboard....

Hardrive is still the same.

Which brings me to here: 

Everything on the PC runs fine, except the Windows Home Server Client.  I can no longer backup the machine using Windows Home Server.

I uninstalled the WHS client and reinstalled it from the WHS Server.

Everytime I try a "Backup now" I get an immediate failue stating that "The backup failed because your computer was unable to create a volume snapshot.  To resolve this problem, try running 'chkdsk /f/r'".

I ran chkdsk c: /f /r  - no errors found.

There appears to an issue with VSS itself, but I have no idea how to resolve it (see detail info below- vssadmin list shadows produces an error).

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks for any help you can provide. 

-Tom

The Application Log has 4 entries:
    =====================================
    (1)--HomeServer--HomeBackup--768--Backup started.

(2)--VSS-None-12292-Volume Shadow Copy Service error: Error creating the Shadow Copy Provider COM class with CLSID {65ee1dba-8ff4-4a58-ac1c-3470ee2f376a} [0x80040154].

(3) --VSS-None-12292-Volume Shadow Copy Service error: Error creating the Shadow Copy Provider COM class with CLSID {65ee1dba-8ff4-4a58-ac1c-3470ee2f376a} [0x80040154].

(4)--HomeServer--HomeBackup--770--Backup set 350 on JAMES failed: Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.VSS.ShadowVolumeException: Exception from HRESULT: 0x8004230F ---> System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x8004230F): Exception from HRESULT: 0x8004230F

at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.VSS.IVssBackupComponents.IsVolumeSupported(Guid ProviderId, String pwszVolumeName)

at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.VSS.ShadowVolumeSet.CreateShadowVolume(VolumeInfo[] volumes)

--- End of inner exception stack trace ---

at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.VSS.ShadowVolumeSet.CreateShadowVolume(VolumeInfo[] volumes)

at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.VSS.ShadowVolumeSet..ctor(VolumeInfo[] volumes)

at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.BackupOp.BackupSetOperation.RunWithoutCatch()

at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.BackupOp.BackupSetOperation.Run()

============================

VSSADMIN LIST PROVIDERS generates:
    vssadmin 1.0 - Volume Shadow Copy Service administrative command-line tool
    (C) Copyright 2001 Microsoft Corp.

Provider name: 'MS Software Shadow Copy provider 1.0'
    Provider type: System
    Provider Id: {b5946137-7b9f-4925-af80-51abd60b20d5}
    Version: 1.0.0.7

vssadmin list writers:

Writer name: 'MSDEWriter'
    Writer Id: {f8544ac1-0611-4fa5-b04b-f7ee00b03277}
    Writer Instance Id: {eda776e2-7528-4c0a-96bf-cd62e9a5dda9}
    State: [1] Stable

Writer name: 'Microsoft Writer (Service State)'
    Writer Id: {e38c2e3c-d4fb-4f4d-9550-fcafda8aae9a}
    Writer Instance Id: {9bb4baba-ecd8-4119-be47-703fbc6cc7cf}

Writer name: 'Microsoft Writer (Bootable State)'
    Writer Id: {f2436e37-09f5-41af-9b2a-4ca2435dbfd5}
    Writer Instance Id: {0901c357-1ec2-4925-8516-00ad44148a8b}

vssadmin list shadows:

Error: 0x8000ffff

Saturday, March 21, 2009 7:03 PM

Answers

• Yes.
    This link describes how to do this.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    • Marked as answer by -tv- Monday, March 23, 2009 12:53 AM
    Sunday, March 22, 2009 9:59 PM
  • FIXED IT!

Dug through the error messages again and it now looked like SWPRV wasn't installed.

Typed REGSVR32 /i SWPRV.DLL,  it registered without problem.
    Then did a NET START SWPRV

Then kicked off another backup and it is now running.

Thank you for all your help Olaf!

-Tom
    Monday, March 23, 2009 12:53 AM

All replies

• Oh a COM+ error - these are coming up recently relatively often in my darkest dreams ...
    After the repair installation some COM+ components are not longer functional on your system.
    There are some relatively unnice workarounds to fix this stuff.
    First attempt would be to try to reregister the VSS components. Put the following lines into a cmd file and execute it on the client PC.

cd %windir%\system32
    Net stop vss
    Net stop swprv
    regsvr32 ole32.dll
    regsvr32 vss_ps.dll
    Vssvc /Register
    regsvr32 /i swprv.dll
    regsvr32 /i eventcls.dll
    regsvr32 es.dll
    regsvr32 stdprov.dll
    regsvr32 vssui.dll
    regsvr32 msxml.dll
    regsvr32 msxml3.dll
    regsvr32 msxml4.dll
    Net start swprv
    Net start vss

One line may give an error (if I remember right, the vssui.dll, also the msxmlx.dlls depend from what is installed), the other stuff should register successfully.
    If it does not, please come back for some instructions how to reinstall COM+.
    Olaf
    Saturday, March 21, 2009 11:40 PM
  • Thanks Olaf, and greetings back from Pittsburgh PA, USA.   

That didn't solve the problem.

The regsvr32 commands went exactly as you indicated, with it only complaining about vssui.dll.

However, after it was done, NET START SWPRV failed.  "The service is not responding to the control function".

I went into Component Services (control panel, administrative tools, component Services),  and when I try to click on COM+ Applications I get an "Error occured while processing the last operation, Error code 80040154 - class not registered".  

Checking the system event log, I do see several "Service Control Manager--error--7709: Timeout waiting for the MS Software Shadow Copy Provider sevice to connect" messages.
    The Application log also has "VSS--Error--4101: Volume Shadow Copy Service error: Cannot obtain the collection 'Applications' from the COM+ catalog [0x80040154]."

Guess next step is to wipe and reinstall COM+?

-Tom

Sunday, March 22, 2009 9:02 PM
  • Yes.
    This link describes how to do this.
    Olaf
    Sunday, March 22, 2009 9:59 PM
  • No joy Olaf.

I followed the instructions in your link, as well as this set:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315296 (How to clean up a damaged COM+ catalog).

Both times I had a problem.  This PC was built using an XP Service Pack 2 CD and later had SP3 installed via windows update.   During the reinstall of COM+, it stopped and said it had an error installing MIGREGDB.EXE and told me to insert the WIndows XP Service Pack 3 CD.   I don't have one.  I searched the hard drive and found four copies of this file - all with the same date/time stamp and file size.  No matter which one I pointed the installer at, it said it couldn't install and it asked for a SP3 CD.  I ended up skipping that file and letting the process finish,  There were no other issues reinstalling COM+.

All copies of the migregdb.exe file on the computer are 7680 bytes with a File Version of 2001.12.4414.700 (Product Version 03.00.00.4414), including the one in the windows\system32 directory.

After the COM+ install was completed, the WHS error message changed.  It now says "the backup failed because of a problem with your Windows Home Server Connector software.  The system event log contains more details." 

System Event Log has an error  DCOM--Error--10005:  DCOM got error "The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it. " attempting to start the service StiSvc with arguments "" in order to run the server:
    {A1F4E726-8CF1-11D1-BF92-0060081ED811}

I tried to uninstall and reinstall the WHS connector software - that didn't make a difference.  Same result. 

vssadmin list shadows still results in an Error: 0x8000ffff.

Not sure how to get around this XP SP3 issue during the COM+ install, but it looks like this is already the correct file.

On a whim, I checked the services that were running and saw that "com+ system application" was set to MANUAL and was not running.  I started it (no errors) and tried the backup one more time.  Same results as before.  

VSS service runs fine, but gets turned off each time I try a WHS backup and it doesn't seem to restart itself.

I'm willing to try something else if you have any other ideas.

Thanks again for your help Olaf.

-tom

Monday, March 23, 2009 12:27 AM
  • FIXED IT!

Dug through the error messages again and it now looked like SWPRV wasn't installed.

Typed REGSVR32 /i SWPRV.DLL,  it registered without problem.
    Then did a NET START SWPRV

Then kicked off another backup and it is now running.

Thank you for all your help Olaf!

-Tom
    Monday, March 23, 2009 12:53 AM