Cannot export Child Business Unit security roles RRS feed

Answers

All replies

• When you say that your requirement is to have business units not see each others records, do you mean that they shouldn't be able to see each others roles? This would be a reason that you would need to create roles at the child level. Since you cannot add business units to roles either, it only follows that business unit specific roles cannot either. Certainly the best practice is to add roles at the top level to the solution unless there is good reason not to.

You could create a post deployment utility to use the SDK to deploy business unit specific roles along with the business units.

hth,

Scott

Scott Durow
    Read my blog: www.develop1.net/public     Follow Me on Twitter
    If this post answers your question, please click "Mark As Answer" on the post and "Mark as Helpful"

Thursday, October 18, 2012 8:35 PM
    Answerer
  • What kind of repercussions will it have to create them at the Parent level rather than at the Child level?  Our scenario, is that there is an organization with Business Unit A and Business Unit B--Two separate divisions within the same company.    Business Unit A will be sharing some of its data/records with B and vice versa, but there will also be certain records which users in Business Unit A should not be able to see from Unit B.  There is crossover which we will achieve through the security roles themselves.  I guess I don't understand why we can't export child level security roles.  What is the reasoning behind it?
    Thursday, October 18, 2012 8:51 PM
  • Hi,

Having roles at child business rules, has no effect on security over records. This is done using the owner of the record combined with the depth of access the role is given. See http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg334717.aspx for more info.

Hth,

Scott

Scott Durow
    Read my blog: www.develop1.net/public     Follow Me on Twitter
    If this post answers your question, please click "Mark As Answer" on the post and "Mark as Helpful"

Thursday, October 18, 2012 10:05 PM
    Answerer