Once again, I'm a "thief" RRS feed

• General discussion

• Even though I got Vista through Moduslink, a Microsoft vendor.

The great thing is, I can't even get past the login screen now.  When I try to re-validate, it says there is an error in validation.  Further details show my key, which is written on the back of my Vista box on a "genuinely certified" MS sticker, is not legit according to the diagnostic program I was told to download.  Again, I cannot login to my profile anymore.  I don't want to get a suggestion about opening a DOS window or emailing someone.  That computer is a brick. 

I've given up on Vista.  I'm not putting another hour of work into it.  I'm going to bite the bullet, lose all of my legitimate data acquired through legitimately bought software, and format back to XP.  When I get back from work, I'll post my error codes here so you can get a sense of what's going on.  I'm saving you the hassle of having to help me, but I figured the information might be useful in helping someone else who may have hours to waste to fix a problem he should not be having ever.  Smile

Wednesday, August 29, 2007 1:24 PM

All replies

•  nooaah wrote:

I've given up on Vista.  I'm not putting another hour of work into it.  I'm going to bite the bullet, lose all of my legitimate data acquired through legitimately bought software, and format back to XP.  When I get back from work, I'll post my error codes here so you can get a sense of what's going on.  I'm saving you the hassle of having to help me, but I figured the information might be useful in helping someone else who may have hours to waste to fix a problem he should not be having ever. 

I feel your pain.

Mostly because I'm feeling the same pain! Smile  I spent an hour on hold with Microsoft last night hoping to get "genuine." No joy.  I've been posting and talking to tech support for *weeks* now.

I'll probably find the time to back everything up and wipe out Vista and start over, but no one should have to deal with buggy copy protection, least of all from an operating system. (sigh)

Mike

Wednesday, August 29, 2007 2:36 PM
  •  

FYI the error code is 0xc004e002.  The diagnostic tool says under the Windows tab that my key is invalid (it has the partial key highlighted in red).  I don't have anything under the other tabs (from memory I think one is general, the other is Office, which I don't have installed yet). 

I tried doing a system restore from the installation disc but I still have the "not validated" issue.  I know there isn't a way to re-enter my key and I can't do phone activation since I have no start menu.  Is there maybe a boot disc I could make on another computer that would allow me to manually enter my key?

I got my Vista DVD through ModusLink when I bought my laptop.  I don't know if this would play a role in anything.  Any help would be appreciated.  I just realized I have data I didn't backup to my external drive yet and I'd prefer not to go nuclear unless I absolutely have to.

Wednesday, August 29, 2007 8:27 PM
  • Unknown error encountered during Windows validation. The validation service is unable to determine whether your copy of Windows is genuine. Please validate again. If additional attempts result in validation errors you may want to try again later.

[0x80080250]

Why do we have to wait so long to even get acknowledged by support?
    Wednesday, August 29, 2007 9:43 PM
  •  nooaah wrote:

FYI the error code is 0xc004e002.  The diagnostic tool says under the Windows tab that my key is invalid (it has the partial key highlighted in red).  I don't have anything under the other tabs (from memory I think one is general, the other is Office, which I don't have installed yet). 

I tried doing a system restore from the installation disc but I still have the "not validated" issue.  I know there isn't a way to re-enter my key and I can't do phone activation since I have no start menu.  Is there maybe a boot disc I could make on another computer that would allow me to manually enter my key?

I got my Vista DVD through ModusLink when I bought my laptop.  I don't know if this would play a role in anything.  Any help would be appreciated.  I just realized I have data I didn't backup to my external drive yet and I'd prefer not to go nuclear unless I absolutely have to.

Please post the results of the WGA diagnostics tool (http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012) with any new question. 

Please also post the error code you get (if any) when you validate by clicking "Validate Windows" here: www.microsoft.com/genuine
    The error code will be gray and in brackets at the end of the message on the page that says validation failed.  (It'll look something like this:  [0xC004C000]).

Thank you!

Thursday, August 30, 2007 1:27 AM
  • I fixed it myself.  I restored to this weekend (my first restore only went back to last night, I guess the damage was already done at that point) and turned off auto updates. 
    Thursday, August 30, 2007 3:35 AM