2 TB server backup disk saturated : need for 3 TB disk RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have a WHS 2011 configured on homemade PC with recent HW (ASUS board with core i3 CPU, 8 Gb memory, 3 sata disks). Configuration is completed and is working quite fine but my external 2 TB disk was saturated within few weeks (< 8).

My home network is made off 4 WHS client PCs which contain a lot of data each so the 2TB server backup disk was saturated quickly. Now, I can buy a 3 TB disk which would be big enough for a while but I understood it would not be supported by WHS as GPT would not be.

I would like to know what could I do to overcome the issue, taking into account that I didn't find a way to decrease the amount of data to backup ?

In another hand, it looks strange for me that, except the alert message informing that available space is less than 10%, I  am not getting error message with subsequent backups. How are handled the backups when saturation is reached : first in first out, backup consolidation, compression ot something similar  ?  

Thanks a lot for helping as I consider this issue critical for my PCs and WHS safety.

Best regards

Albert

PS : Please note that I went through the threads on the subject without success ... 

Monday, November 7, 2011 2:58 PM

All replies

• WHS2011 can not with native functionality back up more than 2TB, whatever the size of your backup disk and you can not back up to more than one external disk at a time. What you could do, albeit not very automatic, is to select a backup set which is less than 2TB and back it up. Then change the external hard disk and back up a second set up to 2TB. This is not a good automatic system but at least the data is backed up and can be stored off site and is relatively practical to achieve if your data is not changing significantly.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Monday, November 7, 2011 3:31 PM
  • Yes, old server backups (on your backup disk) are pruned as new backups are made.

If you have more than 2 TB of data to back up, or if you want to retain a larger number of backups, you will have to step outside the server's dashboard and configure backups from the server desktop. In that case, I would probably choose to use the dashboard to configure a system state and system partition backup, then use scheduled tasks and wbadmin to back up other disks individually.

If you have installed a drive pooling add-in, note also that backng up more than 2 TB at once is not supported, period. You will have to pick and choose what shares get backed up to each disk, and configure multiple disks for backup, plus multiple back tasks.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, November 7, 2011 3:41 PM
  • Thanks a lot your your quick answers.

So, I understand that I have to skip WHS server backup facility and use a commercial one. It's a pity but OK, it's life. So,

1) Do you have a recommandation for one backup SW, not too expansive and running on servers ? I had Acronis True Image Home but it refuses to run on WHS.

2) what about my request for understanding WHS server backup process when backup disk is full ? circular use of space (first in first out), compression ? 

Thanks again for your help.

Albert

Tuesday, November 8, 2011 11:06 AM
    1. Nothing that a consumer would consider "affordable", I'm afraid.
    2. The technology is server backup from Windows Server 2008 R2. Also, from my previous post:
      "Yes, old server backups (on your backup disk) are pruned as new backups are made."

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, November 8, 2011 12:16 PM
  • Thanks again.

Albert

PS : sorry, due to my bad english, I missed the understanding of the word "pruned' ... In french, prune is a fruit :+)

Tuesday, November 8, 2011 9:52 PM