none
70-511 study materials debate RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everybody, I would like to start studying for the 70-511 exam as it is probably recommended instead of going for the 3.5 certification. I'm currently taking into consideration 3 books:

1. MCTS Self-Paced Training Kit (Exam 70-511): Windows Application Development with Microsoft .NET Framework 4

Of course, MCTS self-paced training kit is my first option as it should cover everything for the exam.

2. C# 4.0 The Complete Reference - Herbert Schildt

This is a book I've heard many good things about but I think it covers only half of the needed information. Am I right in saying that this would have helped in passing 70-536 (for 3.5)?

3. CLR via C# - Jeffrey Richter

Again, many good things were said about this book but it seems to be a little bit too complicated for me.  I think it is esential for a better understanding of how things work but I'm not really sure it's what I need for my certification.

I'm currently working as a .NET programmer but don't have very much experience. I'm not looking just for the certification but to become a better programmer. That's why I'm considering CLR via C# as well.

I would like to get some feedback for these books and maybe you could advise me how to approach my certification test. Which books in which order.

Also, I'm open to suggestions as I'm sure there are many other good books which would potentally be of more help than these 3.

Thanks in advance!

Wednesday, June 15, 2011 9:19 PM

Answers

• Hi Florin,

My view is with your experience the Self-Study guide should be sufficient.  Use the practice questions (in learning mode) that come on the CD to check where your knowledge is weak and follow the links to the MSDN from the explanations to increase your knowledge.

I do not know the second book but CLR via C# is a great book, do read it, but I would not expect any questions in the exam that relate to this book.

Good Luck,

Ozzy Geoff

Thursday, June 16, 2011 9:22 AM
  • Have a look at these links

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en/CertGeneral/thread/71fa48b5-b1aa-4f61-8d65-6c73572c63f9

This is the best way I've found to study for an exam as the Self-study guides are basically MSDN content glorified with a pretty cover :-)

Jeff Wharton
    MSysDev (C.Sturt), MDbDsgnMgt (C.Sturt) MCT, MCPD, MCITP, MCDBA
    Blog: Mr. Wharty's Ramblings
    Please mark solved if I've answered your question, vote for it as helpful to help other user's find a solution quicker
    Thursday, June 16, 2011 9:55 AM
  • Hi Florin,

The "CLR via C#" is a great book. I can only recommend that you read it if you really want to become an expert and understand how things work. And even if you do not understand it fully: Just go to the C# forum and ask if you do not understand something. Normaly you get a lot of nice and good answers in short time.

If you want to do the certification, I recomment the Self-Paced Training Kit. It is also the book that I choose.

One book that I found ok was "C# 4.0 How-To" by Ben Watson. A SAMS book. I think that this book could be quite nice for less experienced developers.

With kind regards,

Konrad

Thursday, June 16, 2011 12:45 PM
    Answerer

All replies

• To pass exams you are required to have practical knowledge, not just knowledge gained from reading books.  The whole point of exams is to test your knowledge of a product, not your ability to cram by reading books.
    Jeff Wharton
    Please mark solved if I've answered your question, vote for it as helpful to help other user's find a solution quicker
    Thursday, June 16, 2011 2:56 AM
  • That's why I mentioned I'm working as a .NET programmer and I'm currently trying to boost my programming skills and get certificated in the process as well. As the title stated, I'm asking about some useful study material and possibly get some feedback for some books I'm interested in. I don't really want to discuss about my practical knowledge but if this is relevant for you when answering my questions, I've already took a 30 weeks course in a local Microsoft partner academy, preparing for 70-536 exam. I just decided to go for the 70-511 instead. All these while developing WF apps for about 2 years now. Again, as I previously mentioned, I could not say I'm an experienced programmer nor do I have great skills for this but I want to get a better grasp on how things work and to really be able to understand the whole process of developing. If it were about my "ability to cram by reading books", I would have went with the self-paced training kit and just read the other two as well...It's about getting better at what I do and not wasting time in the process.

I hope this helps you come with a better answer.

Kind regards,

Florin

Thursday, June 16, 2011 6:15 AM
  • Hi Florin,

My view is with your experience the Self-Study guide should be sufficient.  Use the practice questions (in learning mode) that come on the CD to check where your knowledge is weak and follow the links to the MSDN from the explanations to increase your knowledge.

I do not know the second book but CLR via C# is a great book, do read it, but I would not expect any questions in the exam that relate to this book.

Good Luck,

Ozzy Geoff

Thursday, June 16, 2011 9:22 AM
  • Have a look at these links

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en/CertGeneral/thread/71fa48b5-b1aa-4f61-8d65-6c73572c63f9

This is the best way I've found to study for an exam as the Self-study guides are basically MSDN content glorified with a pretty cover :-)

Jeff Wharton
    Thursday, June 16, 2011 9:55 AM
  • Hi Florin,

The "CLR via C#" is a great book. I can only recommend that you read it if you really want to become an expert and understand how things work. And even if you do not understand it fully: Just go to the C# forum and ask if you do not understand something. Normaly you get a lot of nice and good answers in short time.

If you want to do the certification, I recomment the Self-Paced Training Kit. It is also the book that I choose.

One book that I found ok was "C# 4.0 How-To" by Ben Watson. A SAMS book. I think that this book could be quite nice for less experienced developers.

With kind regards,

Konrad

Thursday, June 16, 2011 12:45 PM
    Answerer
  • Thank you all. I've marked all your posts as answers as they are all relevant for me. I will go with the self-paced training kit for the exam and try to find the time to go through other books as well but not rushing into them as exam preparation. Hopefully I will be able to answer my own question and have an opinion about these books, sometime in the future.

BR,

Florin

Thursday, June 16, 2011 10:31 PM