Valdation Problem RRS feed

• Question

• HI!

I installed Vista Ultimate on a friend's computer, with the understanding he pay for it or installs another OS.  The agreed time has passed, and now he is not available by phone, or his house.  I want to install the OS on my machine, but am certain of validation issues.  I do have the original disk, the OEM System Buider Pack.  I am wondering how to go about installing the OS on my machine, and taking over the WGA on my install.

Thank you for any input.

-mike

Sunday, July 18, 2010 3:57 AM

Answers

• Hello manicmikey,

If you have the systembuilder genuine hologrammed installation disc and more importantly the Certificate of Authenticity (CoA), then you have the license.

Ideally, you would have done a "keyless install" (you don't enter a product key during Setup so Setup uses a default product key that cannot be activated) on friend's computer and never given friend the real product key listed on the CoA.  After 30 days of Grace Period, friend's computer goes into reduced functionality mode.

If you did not do the keyless install, not that big of a deal.  Just install on your computer and activate.  If it does not activate automatically, do a telephonic activation.  You have the CoA there in front of you if they ask you the serial number (not the product key) on the CoA as a cross-check to make sure you have physical possession.

The logic programmed into the activation servers says that the most recent installation of any Microsoft product is the "real and current" installation which supercedes any previous installation.  So if any installation is going to be flagged by the activation servers, it will be his and not yours.

Buy Office 2007 Now, Get Office 2010 Free http://office2010.microsoft.com/en-us/tech-guarantee/microsoft-office-2010-technology-guarantee-FX101825695.aspx?CTT=97
    Sunday, July 18, 2010 4:07 AM