What does the mailbox incoming setting of ... or Email Router do? RRS feed

• Question

• I keep reading about tracking incoming emails by setting up a Forward Mailbox and all that configuration, but I can't find any statement of features of the Email Router without it?  Doesn't having a user configured in the Email Router do anything for inbound email?  To have incoming email deposited in CRM is a Forward Mailbox setup a requirement?

I have:

• email router setup with outbound email working
    • Exchange
    • personal options set to track response emails (not that there appears to be any way to shut off tracking)
    • responses hitting Outlook
    • responses not showing up in CRM
    Tuesday, May 12, 2015 4:00 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Using a forward mailbox isn't a requirement when using the email router. To summarise the purpose of this, the email router by default will poll each user and queue that are configured to use email router for inbound emails. This is fine for most small deployments but imagine you have 1000 users, the email router would need to work harder checking 1000 mailboxes for incoming emails. This is where a forward mailbox comes in useful because you deploy a forwarding rule on each of the 1000 mailboxes to forward mail to a forward mailbox. The email router would then poll just this 1 forward mailbox thus reducing the work it needs to do.

Have a read of this part of TechNet for further info on email router/forward mailbox configuration https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn768359.aspx

To answer your last question, no, inbound emails can be tracked in CRM either by using the Outlook client, email router, email router using a forward mailbox, or server side sync (subject to your crm/exchange environment)

Rob

MCTS. GAP Consulting Ltd. Microsoft Community Contributor Award 2011 & 2013

• Marked as answer by mardukes Thursday, May 14, 2015 4:53 PM
    Tuesday, May 12, 2015 10:02 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Using a forward mailbox isn't a requirement when using the email router. To summarise the purpose of this, the email router by default will poll each user and queue that are configured to use email router for inbound emails. This is fine for most small deployments but imagine you have 1000 users, the email router would need to work harder checking 1000 mailboxes for incoming emails. This is where a forward mailbox comes in useful because you deploy a forwarding rule on each of the 1000 mailboxes to forward mail to a forward mailbox. The email router would then poll just this 1 forward mailbox thus reducing the work it needs to do.

Have a read of this part of TechNet for further info on email router/forward mailbox configuration https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn768359.aspx

To answer your last question, no, inbound emails can be tracked in CRM either by using the Outlook client, email router, email router using a forward mailbox, or server side sync (subject to your crm/exchange environment)

Rob

MCTS. GAP Consulting Ltd. Microsoft Community Contributor Award 2011 & 2013

• Marked as answer by mardukes Thursday, May 14, 2015 4:53 PM
    Tuesday, May 12, 2015 10:02 PM
  • Yes, and the one configuration I am not catching in the documentation is that Correlation has to be turned on in the System email settings.  And you have to select one of the correlation methods, token or smart.  So, in terms of tracking, the setting for incoming email on the user mailbox doesn't do anything.  I was guessing that there is some default correlation based simply on email address -- no token, no smarts.
    Thursday, May 14, 2015 5:01 PM