Quick question about certifications RRS feed

• General discussion

• I was wondering what some good certifications for someone looking to start college for IT would be (In the long run I would like to setup companys software/computers and work on servers).

I have a decent knowledge already of computer hardware, and am trying to learn things on servers at the moment (also any server tutorials or good reads are appreciated).

Thanks in advance

Ryan

Monday, July 8, 2013 8:14 PM

All replies

• Hi. I'm not sure what your client O/S skills are like but the new MCSA tracks might be a good start as they are client focused but overlap into server technologies.   Good way of learning is with VMs, if you're not doing that already. Download some trial software from the MS site.

Monday, July 8, 2013 10:28 PM
  • VMs?

Really how I'm learning is like google tutorials

Monday, July 8, 2013 11:01 PM
  • Sorry, Virtual Machines.  They're a great way of learning, building and playing with a test lab of a few servers and client machines.  There are tutorials all over for this kinda thing and useful videos on Youtube.  This might help you understand more -

http://blogs.vmware.com/kb/2012/08/downloading-and-installing-vmware-workstation-9-x-on-a-windows-based-system.html

Tuesday, July 9, 2013 7:50 PM
  • Sorry it's taken me so long to reply, I'm on the vmware website products page, but I'm unsure which to download is there a specific one you were talking about, or are they all for like different scenarios?
    Wednesday, July 10, 2013 5:17 PM
  • You could try VMware Workstation.  You can trial it for 30 days - http://www.vmware.com/products/workstation/overview.html.  There is some good 'getting started' info links on this page too.

You would download a 90 day trial of Windows Server 2008/2012 for free, which contains Microsoft's virtualisation software included - Hyper-V - which you can play around with. 

My advice is download and have a play with one or two of these products and have a read around.  You'll learn a lot and once you've built a few virtual machines and you've got them talking together its all pretty cool stuff and a great learning platform.

Youtube has some good tutorials and CBT Nuggets (paid) are also very good for not just exam study materials but also for learning about technologies.

It can be baffling as there are lot of products out there that do this kinda thing.  Probably a lot more baffling if you're new to the technology.

Wednesday, July 10, 2013 9:06 PM
  • Thanks a ton gonna work on studying up a bit on basic server stuff. Thanks again
    Wednesday, July 10, 2013 10:46 PM