Changing backup location for OneCare Files and continuation of OneCare RRS feed

• Question

• Hello:

I have run into the following issues re: (1) changing my backup location to an internal hard drive, (2) continuity of my OneCare after April 30th (when MS Equipt will be discontinued) and (3) virus threats from "Trojan" (which happened just now):

(I would be most grateful for detailed help after I indicate what I've done thus far, okay?)

(1) I, after at least two months, went to http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecarebackupandrestore/thread/22258a6a-3e94-4ac2-a3e7-b21683fb913c to try to follow (step-by-step) how to change to the internal backup. Back in December 2008, soon after I purchased MS Equipt from Circuit City, .I partitioned my C:\ drive to "C" and "Z"; therefore, I just divided the available space. "Z" is currently empty. I am still unable to change my internal drive to "Z" and that is where I want to put my OneCare backup files.

(2) I received a notification that MS Equipt is being discontinued after April 30th and I have already received my refund check, however, I ABSOLUTELY NEED TO MAKE SURE THAT MY "OneCare" IS STILL WORKING AND IN PROGRESS. Virus threats are quite common these days and I cannot go through life thinking about what "MAY" or "WILL" happen if my OneCare is no longer functional.
    My question is: WILL OneCare STILL BE FUNCTIONAL after April 30th, and, if not, how do I make sure I can get OneCare again or have another low-cost protection, which is from a trustworthy site and I can trust them to not mess-up my computer?

(3) I was just INFESTED by viruses from Trojan at a VERY FAST RATE and there was nothing I can do to quickly stop the infestation. This is the first time the invasion took place.

I would request a prompt response to the above, as some require IMMEDIATE  attention.

Thanks so much,

DC

Wednesday, April 29, 2009 4:34 AM

Answers

All replies

• 1. You will have to reconfigure your backup plan to change the backup location. See this post for a walkthrough - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecarebackupandrestore/thread/5f18a60d-add4-4ff2-87cf-021db7e81917

2. One Care should work and update for about two weeks beyond expiration. You can purchase a One Care retail CD for about $25-$30 if you shop around and you will be protected for another year. If you choose to do this use a different Live ID than you used for Equipt.

3. Contact support for help with malware removal. How to reach support - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/30400b52-7f26-4ba0-bc18-17e305329d90
    Jim - MVP Windows Live - Forum Moderator - Live One Care - Live Mesh
    Wednesday, April 29, 2009 4:56 AM
  • I'll note that the backup to an internal partition, your empty Z: drive, will only work if you configure Centralized backup and your PC is a hub PC in a Circle, even if it is the only PC on your subscription. You need to Share the Z:/ drive and grant *all* users full permission. Instructions for how to configure permissions are below:

Set user permissions for a centralized backup device

Before you can use an external hard disk or network share as a central backup device for all computers in your OneCare circle, you must make sure that all users on the network have the correct permissions to access it.

By default, Windows XP uses simple file sharing. If the external hard drive is connected to a computer that's running Windows XP Home Edition, all users on the network automatically have permission to access the device and the backup files. However, if the external hard drive is connected to a computer that's running Windows XP Professional Edition or Windows Vista, simple file sharing is turned off when you create a backup plan that uses a centralized backup device.

If you are using a network share as a backup device, you must grant permission for users to access the network share. When you grant permission, all users will have access to the backup files.

To set user permissions for a centralized backup device:

1. On the network share or external hard disk, navigate to (but do not open) the shared folder or drive that you want to set permissions for.
    2. Right-click the backup folder or drive, and then click Properties.
    3. In Windows XP Home Edition, on the Sharing tab, click Share this folder, and then click Permissions.
      –or–
      In Windows XP Professional Edition or Windows Vista, on the
      Sharing tab, click Advanced Sharing. Click Share this folder, and then click Permissions.
    4. Under Group or user names, make sure that Everyone is selected.
    5. Under Permissions for Everyone, in the Allow column, select the Full Control check box.

Note that backing up to the other parition on your PC is about as useful as not backing up at all. You would be better served to back up to DVD or CD, but I recommend shopping for a cheap external USB drive and using it for backups.
    -steve
    -steve

Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare & Live Mesh Forum Moderator
    Wednesday, April 29, 2009 2:41 PM