2gb or 4gb ram for whs rebuild? RRS feed

• Question

• I have put new RAM/CPU/Motherboard in my WHS after my former motherboard died.  Did a re-install and had no problems with re-activation - activated automatically over the phone.

The new specs are a 45W ultra power efficient AMD 5050e X2 2.6Ghz processor which runs barely above ambient temperature, even with stock cooling - very nice.  I put 2GB of DDR2-800 RAM on a basic Gigabyte motherboard, that has only 2 RAM slots, but comes with 6 SATA connections :-)

Even though I don't run memory intensive apps, I am now wondering if 4GB RAM would improve major disk operations, such as the data migrator/extender, and transfers of very large files in the gigabyte size range?

Would exchanging the 2GB RAM for 4GB be of any benefit at the present time - such as large file operations?

If not right now - perhaps it would be a benefit as preparation for the next release of WHS - if that next release is 64 bit?

Thanks for the advice.
    Thursday, February 26, 2009 8:51 AM

Answers

• I originally had 1 gig in the WHS, I replaced that with 2 gig and have yet to see it use over 1 gig no matter what is running. 

My personal opinion is that the 4 gig is a waste of $$ but others may have different experience!
    • Marked as answer by dpkform Friday, February 27, 2009 6:23 AM
    Thursday, February 26, 2009 1:08 PM
  • 2 GB will be fine for the foreseeable future. If you have the RAM already, go ahead and use it, if not, don't bother to buy more. :)

As for x86 vs x64, at some point in the past some Microsoft employee said that the next major release of Windows Home Server would likely be 64 bit. I can't find the reference, but the only way it could be 32 bit is if they stayed with Windows Server 2003 as a platform, and I doubt that they will do that if they're making major updates elsewhere. But Microsoft has not made any timeline for when the next major release of WHS available yet, so it's likely quite a way off (i.e. probably you'll be running the version you have today, with minor updates, for 12+ months).

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, February 26, 2009 1:37 PM

All replies

• I originally had 1 gig in the WHS, I replaced that with 2 gig and have yet to see it use over 1 gig no matter what is running. 

My personal opinion is that the 4 gig is a waste of $$ but others may have different experience!
    Thursday, February 26, 2009 1:08 PM
  • 2 GB will be fine for the foreseeable future. If you have the RAM already, go ahead and use it, if not, don't bother to buy more. :)

As for x86 vs x64, at some point in the past some Microsoft employee said that the next major release of Windows Home Server would likely be 64 bit. I can't find the reference, but the only way it could be 32 bit is if they stayed with Windows Server 2003 as a platform, and I doubt that they will do that if they're making major updates elsewhere. But Microsoft has not made any timeline for when the next major release of WHS available yet, so it's likely quite a way off (i.e. probably you'll be running the version you have today, with minor updates, for 12+ months).

Thursday, February 26, 2009 1:37 PM
  • Thanks for your replies Mike and Ken.

My last motherboard required DDR Ram, which is now uncommon and surprisingly expensive. I decided to exchange for 4GB of DDR2-800 RAM for "futureproofing" purposes. It was only $CDN26 more than 2GB.

With all the memory related stats in task manager - not sure how to tell how much physical RAM I am using.  I have page files disabled on all drives - yet my PF usage is 826MB??? Says my physical memory is 4GB, available is 3GB, and system cache is 1.4GB?

Tried testing with a 12GB file, to see if the available physical memory changed.  It did not change in any significant way.  Would the system cache (under physcial memory) be used when transferring a large file?

Friday, February 27, 2009 6:54 AM
  • Ken Warren said:

2 GB will be fine for the foreseeable future. If you have the RAM already, go ahead and use it, if not, don't bother to buy more. :)

Ken .. little correction in what you responded .. Windows Server 2003 comes in both flavors of 32bit and 64bit .. however, Windows Small Business Server 2003 (in which WHS is built around) does only come in 32bit flavor.

Now, if they were to move over to Windows Small Business Server 2008 ... then it would be 64bit since I don't see there being a 32bit release out there anywhere .. strange since they have Windows Server 2008 in both 32bit and 64bit !!!!

-The G33K
    Saturday, February 28, 2009 6:38 PM
  • dpkform said:

I have put new RAM/CPU/Motherboard in my WHS after my former motherboard died.  Did a re-install and had no problems with re-activation - activated automatically over the phone.

The new specs are a 45W ultra power efficient AMD 5050e X2 2.6Ghz processor which runs barely above ambient temperature, even with stock cooling - very nice.  I put 2GB of DDR2-800 RAM on a basic Gigabyte motherboard, that has only 2 RAM slots, but comes with 6 SATA connections :-)

Even though I don't run memory intensive apps, I am now wondering if 4GB RAM would improve major disk operations, such as the data migrator/extender, and transfers of very large files in the gigabyte size range?

Would exchanging the 2GB RAM for 4GB be of any benefit at the present time - such as large file operations?

If not right now - perhaps it would be a benefit as preparation for the next release of WHS - if that next release is 64 bit?

Thanks for the advice.

According to TechRadar, WHS v2 will be 64-bit only.
    Sunday, March 1, 2009 2:39 PM