Corrupt Files Following Data Recovery RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I recently formatted my hard drive between backups and as a result lost many music, Word and picture files.

I was able to recover the files, but none of them will play or open, even though they look fine, with names, extensions and file size intact.

Is there anything I can do now to fix these files? I've tried several "fix it" utilities but each one tells me that the file is corrupt. These files will also not convert to an alternate format.

Any help is appreciated.
    Friday, July 10, 2009 4:18 AM

Answers

• Thanks for the reply. No, the sequence is that I formatted my drive accidentally. My comment "between backups" is irrelevant. It just means that any files I had added to teh drive between the last backup and the time I formatted are now lost. but there are quite a few of them. I used a data recovery tool and was able to recover them all, except they now will not play or open.

In that case, that is not a WHS issue.  You should post your question in the forum for whichever data recovery tool you used.
    Monday, July 13, 2009 4:40 AM

All replies

• Hi,

I recently formatted my hard drive between backups and as a result lost many music, Word and picture files.

I was able to recover the files, but none of them will play or open, even though they look fine, with names, extensions and file size intact.

Is there anything I can do now to fix these files? I've tried several "fix it" utilities but each one tells me that the file is corrupt. These files will also not convert to an alternate format.

Any help is appreciated.

To clarify:  you were successfully backing up a client PC to your Windows Home Server, decided to format the hard drive in your client, then tried to recover your documents from the backup stored on your server, but none of those files work after restoring them?  If that's correct, how did you recover the files?  Did you try doing a complete Bare Metal Restore (instead of just Single File Restore)?
    Friday, July 10, 2009 1:44 PM
  • Your backup database may be corrupt. I doubt any amount of "fix it" utilities would work in that case
    Sunday, July 12, 2009 8:12 AM
  • Thanks for the reply. No, the sequence is that I formatted my drive accidentally. My comment "between backups" is irrelevant. It just means that any files I had added to teh drive between the last backup and the time I formatted are now lost. but there are quite a few of them. I used a data recovery tool and was able to recover them all, except they now will not play or open.
    Monday, July 13, 2009 1:41 AM

In that case, that is not a WHS issue.  You should post your question in the forum for whichever data recovery tool you used.
    Monday, July 13, 2009 4:40 AM